FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is it okay to shoot into the sun (eg. sunset)?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Is it okay to shoot into the sun (eg. sunset)?
on Jun 16, 2012 at 6:35:47 pm

Hi folks,
I've read that you are not supposed to point your video camera at bright light, especially the sun, for fear that it will damage the sensor. Yet, I am always seeing beautiful sunsets, etc., on YouTube that have been shot with small camcorders. What's the deal? Can I shoot sunsets with my camera or not?
Thanks very much for your expertise.
Vic

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Is it okay to shoot into the sun (eg. sunset)?
on Jun 16, 2012 at 11:23:40 pm

Well, it's not the world's best thing to do to your camera, but it's generally not too much to worry about, especially for short periods.

Most of the "never point your camera into the sun" advice stems back from the day of tubed cameras... where those tubes could (and did) burn very easily, not only from the sun but from any small bright light sources. The chips and sensors in cameras today are much more forgiving, and you can shoot without damaging them in situations that would have positively wrecked the cameras of years past.

I still wouldn't do it a lot though or for prolonged periods.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Jun 16, 2012 at 11:28:12 pm

Sounds like a definite "maybe"! :^)
I'm really on the fence on it, because I'm afraid of damaging my camera, yet I'm so jealous of all those beautiful shots I see! I doubt I'll actually take the leap, unless my finances improve!
Thanks Todd!

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 17, 2012 at 12:14:06 am

Well, I don't point the camera directly at the sun, usually offset to the photographic 1/3 rd . Ok with a film camera, but, never had a problem with digital Canon 5D mark II including video in 5 years.

But, I have noticed a light image retention using 3ccd Panasonics, but, no lasting effects on the image sensor, TAKE CARE !

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jun 17, 2012 at 11:44:54 pm

http://images.creativecow.net/157057/0_sequence01.still002.jpg#16232

Re: Above post : sun photographed , taken from Video at Harbin - CHINA this image left no mark on sensor even though near centre.

The setting sun caught me by surprise , I did not recompose as it was on a moving clip

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]