FORUMS: list search recent posts

Merge Canon MXF files

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Teresa Bush
Merge Canon MXF files
on May 21, 2012 at 10:47:38 am

Anyone used Canon XF Utility 1.2 on Mac or Windows? Or how would you merge the MXF files?

Canon XF camcorders have 2GB limit for MXF video. While make a long recording, the clip is save in multiple files. There seems merging option in XF Utility when exporting to MXF. Will the joined file play smoothly without dropped frame or choppy problem?

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Merge Canon MXF files
on Jun 4, 2012 at 3:46:21 pm

Yes.

Al

Return to posts index

Ray Kowalchuk
on Nov 20, 2012 at 12:43:40 am

"There seems merging option in XF Utility when exporting to MXF."

There is? Where? It merges media into virtual volumes, yes, but spanned clips?

I'm pulling out my hair trying to append my longer-than-5-minutes-13-second MXF files together before they cause problems in my MAM workflow.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Nov 20, 2012 at 1:39:20 am

[Ray Kowalchuk] "There is? Where?"

Yeah, it's there and super easy.

So much so that I can't really tell you how to do it, I just do it instinctively... so I can't recall the exact buttons or where they are found without actually looking at the utility interface (it's a submenu of one of the buttons across the top of the window, but I know that's not exactly helpful).

If no one has answered by in the morning when I'm back in studio I'll give it a look and good directions.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Robin Brooks
on Mar 29, 2016 at 10:38:07 am

Todd Terry, I was wondering if you could help with this problem. Seems like from this post you could help.

I have almost no knowledge about video production, (still photog, here), and I've got about 1.4 TB of MXF footage from a canon xf100 that needs to be converted to MP4 so that the footage can be uploaded to Youtube. The footage is from a week long conference, so the YouTube clips will be about 1.5 hours each. The canon xf utility was used to backup the footage to a hard drive.

My limited experience with video is only with canon 5Ds so right now I have no workflow for this process.

I was handed this project in my NGO as the only person in the Org who knows a thing about video (sadly). At this stage I've attempted merging the MXF clips from within XF Utility like you suggested above, but there is no option to do it that I can find after looking very thoroughly and repeatedly. Definitely lost, here.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 29, 2016 at 3:19:01 pm

I can give you and answer about the Canon XF utility that will definitely save you some time... but you probably won't like the answer.

In short, you can stop searching for buttons in the XF Utility, because you are not going to find them. The Utility is awesome for looking at (properly formatted and shot) camera cards, making backups, and merging .MXF clips. But it will not convert one type of files into another... it's not going to change or convert your .MXF files into anything else, they are going to stay .MXF files.

To change your .MXF files into the .mp4 files that you need, you will need some other editing platform or conversion utility.

Here at our place, our editing suites all run Adobe Premiere CS6. So the way we'd do that, we'd simply throw the .MXF files on a Premiere timeline and then output the .mp4 files at whatever exact specs we need.

If you don't want (or have access to) a full-blown editing system, there might be some little stand-alone programs that will convert .MXF files into another format.

If so, I can't say what they are as we have never had any need for anything like that.

I'd suggest hitting the Googlin' machine and see what you can find. But you can close out the XF Utility, it's not going to help you.

Good luck....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 29, 2016 at 3:23:23 pm

I should have added, that it sounds like your company is needing something but doesn't have the hardware/software needed to do it (or the personnel that knows how, by your own admission).

If you want to outsource that, feel free to contact me off the board at todd(at)fantasticplastic.com

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]