FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 log C, can I output a higher saturated image?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Cox
C300 log C, can I output a higher saturated image?
on May 16, 2012 at 4:15:07 pm

If shooting with the Canon C300 on Log C, (1080, 25p), can I output to a monitor a more highly saturated image for reference? Basically so the director doesn't think that the slightly washed out image is all they get.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: C300 log C, can I output a higher saturated image?
on May 16, 2012 at 4:29:05 pm

We don't have our C300PL yet (though we keep waiting), so I can't tell you firsthand...

BUT... I will say the ability to do that is one of the things that was touted in the pre-release teaser videos for the camera... that the monitoring mode choice doesn't not necessarily have to be a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type of thing... and that you can goose up that output when shooting in one of the flatter modes just to avoid exactly what you are talking about... people viewing on location thinking they are getting a bad image.

But how to do it, I couldn't say... but dig through the manual, as you are supposed to be able to. Or at least at one time Canon said you would.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Simon Cox
on May 17, 2012 at 7:48:41 pm

Tod, partial success now I'm sat with the camera and manual before my 5:30am call! When set to Canon Log, (which they call Cinema or you switch lock on in the custom profile menu to switch Log as the active gamma), you can then switch on 'View Assist' (page 109 of the manual), to give a better image in the viewfinder and flip out LCD. There does not seem to be a way of outputting this image to a separate monitor though,......................which would be nice.

Return to posts index

Edd Wright
on Oct 3, 2012 at 10:54:12 am

Hi Simon,

I encountered a similar problem on a shoot recently. The Log C workflow can leave directors somewhat perturbed. Yes, this method of 'View Assist' helps on the LCD for your reference purposes (lighting etc) but what of the output to the monitor and the director? Here's what I did. I was always taught that whatever settings you can adjust on the monitor image (IE brightness, contrast, saturation) you can manipulate in the grade, minimum! You have far more latitude what with the flatter image you are acquiring through Log-C. Make sure you have a decent monitor then simply adjust the monitors settings at the beginning of the day to the values that you would find acceptable and pleasing to the eye. But I made it crystal clear to the director that we were shooting Log-c and insisted that he complimented the footage with a good quality grade.

Hope this helps.

Edd

Return to posts index

Simon Cox
on Oct 4, 2012 at 6:50:27 pm

Cheers Ed, not a bad suggestion.

http://www.simoncoxcameraman.co.uk

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]