FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XHA1 not working with Firewire 1394a in Windows 7

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Dewey
Canon XHA1 not working with Firewire 1394a in Windows 7
on May 9, 2012 at 5:44:15 pm

I just bought a Firewire 1394a card for my Windows 7 so I could capture/stream video with my Canon XHA1. Everywhere I've read online says you should not need to download additional drivers to do this, just plug in the camera. When I do, it shows up in "Sound, video & game controllers" in Device Manager but no matter what I try it is not recognized in any programs (Premiere Pro CS5, Wirecast, Vidblaster, Adobe Flash Media Encoder).

BUT when I plug it in to my Mac Pro via the firewire port, it pops right up and works in any of the programs on there. So is this just a Windows 7 compatibility issue?

Return to posts index

Marc Dewey
Re: Canon XHA1 not working with Firewire 1394a in Windows 7
on May 9, 2012 at 7:07:39 pm

Update: I plugged in an external hard drive to the same firewire card and that works fine, so it is just an issue with the camera.

Return to posts index

William Busby
on May 10, 2012 at 8:11:12 am

win 7 pro here... no issues at all with the same camera. Try making sure in the A1's camera settings menu it matches the signal to whatever edit app's project you're using and you have to make that adjustment with firewire disconnected, otherwise it will be greyed out.

Return to posts index

Marc Dewey
on May 10, 2012 at 9:54:08 pm

I'm trying to preview/capture while in the 1080i 24F shooting mode. In Premiere Pro CS5, I've tried the "DVCPROHD 1080i60" & "DVCPROHD 1080p24" sequence settings. Those look like the only 2 that would be applicable. I installed the Premiere 5.0.3 update which was supposed to add more compatibility with Canon cameras, but still those are the only options I have. Supposedly I should see "Canon XF MPEG 2" and "HDV" options, but they're not there (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3878944). These are the options I DO have:
http://tinyurl.com/7zwu9nf

When I go to DV/HDV Device Control Settings in Preferences, under "Check Status" it says "Online." For a brief moment in the capture window I could control the playback settings on the camera, though it was just a black screen (even though it was playing footage on the camera). I have no idea why it worked temporarily, now when I plug it in the program just says "Can't activate recorder. Try resetting camera."

Return to posts index

Marc Dewey
on May 10, 2012 at 10:57:36 pm

OK I got capturing to work using HDVSplit, so the firewire connection is working. That means it must be an issue with Premiere not being able to capture in HDV. Unfortunately Premiere also can't recognize the .m2t files HDVSplit uses, so that solution won't work either.

ALSO...for no apparent reason at all, I opened up Vidblaster & Wirecast again and the camera shows up! I have no idea why it decided to start working, but I'm not about to question it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]