FORUMS: list search recent posts

35mm vs Wide Angle Adapter for XF300?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Nutkins
35mm vs Wide Angle Adapter for XF300?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:05:17 pm

Hi there,

I want to be able to increase the depth of field on the XF300 and provide a more cinematic feel so am looking for a lens adapter.

Can anyone tell me if a wide angle adapter/attachment (e.g. 'equivalent of 35mm' WAH82) would do a similar job to a 35mm adapter such as the Letus or how they would differ?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: 35mm vs Wide Angle Adapter for XF300?
on Apr 16, 2012 at 4:41:19 pm

That's two completely different things, one has nothing to do with the other.

An add-on wide-angle adapter will allow your existing lens to shoot wider, but will have no affect on making your DoF any shallower.

If you want to decrease your depth of field beyond what the camera will natively do, the way to do that is to use a 35mm DoF converter, such as the Letus you mentioned, or one of the higher-end units such as the P+S Technik.

I think the term "35mm" is throwing you off, because it's talking about two different things. With the wide-angle adapter, the 35mm is referring to the focal length of the lens, which is relatively wide. When talking about DoF converters, the 35mm is referring to the format size... as in the size of a 35mm film frame. Just by happenstance you've picked an wide-angle adapter that has the same number as the film format. It could just as easily have been a 28mm wide-angle adapter, or 18mm or such. I think that's where some of the confusion lies.

Remember if you go the DoF adapter route (Letus or whomever), you'll need 35mm format (not focal length) lenses to put on it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]