FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I be getting better "image" quality from T3i than from HF M400 camcorder?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Should I be getting better "image" quality from T3i than from HF M400 camcorder?
on Mar 17, 2012 at 3:07:14 pm

Hi folks,
I've been shooting with an HF M400 camcorder (a recent upgrade from an HF 10) and am finding the results amazing... especially in low light. It's truly an amazing little camcorder with many great manual overrides. Anyways, recently, I purchased a T3i. I've heard so much about the amazing picture quality that I expected to see outstanding image quality (as compared to the smaller-sensored HF M400).
Well, I must say, I'm hardly blown away at all.
I expected my upgrade to the T3i to help me accomplish three things:
1.) better bokeh
2.) improved low light shooting
3.) a higher quality image
I surely did achieve the first two, but only after I upgraded the lens on the T3i to a 50mm f/1.4... now, both the bokeh and low light capabilities are truly outstanding.
But, on the third expectation, I'm anything but impressed. In fact, the image looks pretty much the same. And, to tell you the truth, I really didn't know what to expect. I just figured that, because of the larger sensor, I'd see a, somehow, improved image. Am I doing something wrong?
FYI: I'm shooting fully manual (albeit, as a bit of a neophyte at this point).
Anybody have any experience/thoughts to share. I'd greatly appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Vic

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Should I be getting better "image" quality from T3i than from HF M400 camcorder?
on Mar 22, 2012 at 8:40:23 pm

Maybe not, it sounds like it is writing data to the card at about 12Mbps where as the professional rate is from 25Mbps as on the tape based Canon HV20/30/40 or their other Pro units > most pro camcorders are 25 Mbps or higher which give a better result. Ask Canon ?

The Canon 5D Mark II is at 38 Mbps

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]