FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do XF105, XF305, XA10 green screen compare to 7D, 60D, 5D ?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Adams
How do XF105, XF305, XA10 green screen compare to 7D, 60D, 5D ?
on Mar 14, 2012 at 6:08:56 pm

I have a very large amount of green screen interviews to shoot and I'm looking for the best cameras to do the job.

Previously I used the SLRs (7D, 60D, T3i). I loved the look and the keying was one click phenomenal. So I want something that will achieve the same keying results.

However, these are two camera shoots, and I'd like to eliminate having to use dual system sound - so I'd love to use a real video camera (especially two that can sync with each other). However, I'm really not interested in switching if I can't get the same keying results at the same data rate (shooting lots of these in a day, so need to be able to dump at a decent rate).

So, has anyone used both the HDSLRs and either the XF105, XF205, or XA10 and can give me a comparison regarding keying? Better yet, if anyone has some green screen interview footage shot on either of those cameras and would be willing to send me a short clip to test, I'd appreciate it greatly!

Thanks!

-Brandon

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: How do XF105, XF305, XA10 green screen compare to 7D, 60D, 5D ?
on Mar 15, 2012 at 4:44:31 pm

I'll see if I have time to get out the two comparisons, but my take on this, having used both a 7D and now a xf305 is that the 4:2:2 space of the xf305 is got a lot more latitude and ability to handle green screen. Guys in Hollywood are routinely transcoding 7D and 5D footage to 4:2:2 and even 4:4:4 if I remember right, using Neoscene (see Act of Valor), so getting it shot in 4:2:2 should help a lot. and it's cut down on my use of Neoscene. I found I couldn't tell a difference on the screen sizes I am shooting for. t think that the edge keying is probably where you'll see the most artifacts. But I was able to do it with Vegas and with FCP. Probably depends on whether you are going to show a theatrical showing on a large screen. You probably should run some tests. If you live near a city, go rent the camera you don't have and do some trials.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]