FORUMS: list search recent posts

canon vs sony vs panasonic - which camcorder to buy?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jana Machatova
canon vs sony vs panasonic - which camcorder to buy?
on Mar 7, 2012 at 10:07:00 am

Hello there,

I am planning to buy an HD camera in near future and since I am not a videographer, I'd like to hear your advice. I am a news producer-turned-video editor and want to start filming as well. I did quite a lot of research about camcorders and chose a few models that I think will fit my criteria but would like to have my choices confirmed by professionals.

I am planning to use the camera mainly for shooting 1. weddings and other events, and 2.news features, maybe short documentaries.

The camera needs to be:
under 2000 in British Pound (ideally including memory cards)
full HD
with professional audio
lightweight
good low light performance
FCP workflow friendly codec
good resolution LCD screen

I have been looking at Canon XF100, Canon XA10, Sony HXR-NX70U NXCAM Compact Camcorder, Panasonic AG-HPX170 P2 HD camcorder and Panasonic AG-HMC150.

So, the question is which one of these is the best..? I favour the Panasonic AG-HPX170 P2, also because I purchased the Calibrated mxf which enables me to edit in FCP with the mxf files straight from the p2 cards.

Also heard the AVCHD codec is not FCP friendly - any ideas on the workflow there?

The other thing is that from what I heard some of the sony cameras have a weird positioning of manual control buttons, so that would also be a factor.

I have two options - or to buy a second hand Panasonic AG-HPX170 P2\ Canon XF100 or to buy one of the other, cheaper models, but brand new.

Very intrigued by the Canon XA10 - but not sure it meets my requirements.

I don't understand much about sensors on the models I chose, so maybe you have any advice on that as well.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

I’m cross-posting this on Sony and Panasonic forum.

Thanks a lot!

Best,
Jana Machatova

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]