FORUMS: list search recent posts

Impossible scenario?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Redžinald Šimek
Impossible scenario?
on Mar 3, 2012 at 8:53:30 am

Hi guys

We plan to shoot feature, around 80 min. long in one shot, and i just trying to figure it out how to do this since, regarding the script, camera is handheld all the time. And we would like to do it without any breaks.
We are thinking about Red Epic, ARRI Alexa or Canon c300. The problem obviously is battery life and media capacity.
Target format is HD.
I did research about media and battery capacity and did not find any possible solution.
Impossible or not?
Just wandering do you have any thoughts about this.

thanks

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Impossible scenario?
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:40:12 am

Nah, it's not impossible. Technically, from a camera standpoint it's not even hard.

Battery life is a non-issue. Just about any camera choice is going to have battery capacity that far exceeds the minimum requirement for the single shot.

Media isn't an issue either. Of your camera choices, since it's all handheld I'd pick the C300 since it is the smallest/lightest of the bunch (the body is only 3lbs)... and the C300 has dual card slots that are hot-swappable while shooting. When one card is full, the camera automatically (and seamlessly) switches to the other card (and you have a camera assistant remove and replace the full one).

There have been lots of "one-shot" projects in the past... though virtually all of them have actually contained multiple shots, with visual and/or edit tricks hiding the cuts. I'd say if you want to do it that'd be cool... just make sure there is a real and legitimate narrative reason for it all to be one shot... it shouldn't be a gimmick.

Yeah, it'd be pretty hard to do, but not because of camera limitations... that's a non-issue compared to everything else.

I do feel for the camera op, though. 80 minutes is a looooong time for a perfect handheld shot.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]