FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 @ showcase today.

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Buddy Couch
C300 @ showcase today.
on Jan 26, 2012 at 10:12:36 pm

Canon reps were in house @ showcase Atlanta today. I must say wow! I was impressed by what I saw, however whether or not it lives up to the hype remains to be seen. I won't rehash its features as they are available on Canons site, however one interesting tidbit that isn't mentioned is 120fps. It is not available on camera at the present time, but rep was saying that in 3-6 months a firmware update should be available to do it. Street price was 15,999 no matter where you purchase it. Reps @ showcase were saying it was a game changer not unlike RED thought scarlet would be. We shall see I suppose, as I work around sales and have learned to believe it when I see it.

Also if you have seen the press releases, no doubt you saw the 30-300 lens that was attached to it. Forget about this unless you are making the next blockbuster, as it rings in at $47,000.

Anyway just thought I would mention this for the people that were excited about the C300. I believe rep said 4 had been sold today. Its amazing that they were able to pack this much camera into such a small body.

Regards,

Buddy Couch
Enfocus Studios

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: C300 @ showcase today.
on Jan 26, 2012 at 11:16:12 pm

Good to hear.

I've come to the decision over the last few weeks that it will probably be our next camera. I only wish it had a swappable mount, and you didn't have to choose between the EF and PL mount. We will have to go with the PL mount version.

I have heard rumblings though from a semi-insider though that Canon might be considering producing some PL mount lenses for it.

I do wish though that that sweet 30-300 was about half the price... or less.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 27, 2012 at 7:40:29 pm

Meant to ask... Hate I missed that showcase as I'd love to get my hands on a C300 for at least a few minutes before we pull trigger on a purchase.

Anyone know of any other opportunities (esp SE US) to do so?

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Buddy Couch
on Jan 27, 2012 at 9:56:44 pm

Hello Todd,
I am sorry you missed the chance as well, as it was a great opportunity to mingle with the Canon reps. It was a mad house as people were coming in the door, moving straight to the video section and asking "Where is it?" I knew it had to be the C300, so I then ask if I could see IT, you know the C300 that you have here somewhere :). He said follow the gentlemen downstairs. So.....

I go downstairs and the first thing I hear is this "Take your footage and just drop it into your Final Cut timeline and your off and running." I was thinking that it might not be the best selling point to mention that, considering so many people are in the process of migrating as we speak.

Good luck on finding a demo, I would recommend contacting showcase and asking them how long Canon will be there.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 27, 2012 at 11:21:29 pm

[Buddy Couch] "I would recommend contacting showcase"

Maybe I'm just one of those guys that's not "in the know" (likely), but I don't know what/where/when this "showcase" actually is.

I'm about three hours west of Atlanta though, and don't mind the trip.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bobby Holbrook II
on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:46:07 pm

Had mine for over a month now and love it...I had one of the first 4.. I've been shooting a Louisiana Tourism campaign with it the last few weeks and it's amazing.. that's All i can say..

Bobby Holbrook
Holbrook Multimedia.Inc.

Chief Editor/Cinematographer
P2 University Grad.
Holbrook Multi-Media

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 20, 2012 at 7:58:42 pm

Hey Bobby...

I'm guessing you have the EF version? What glass are you using?

We're waiting on the PL mount version to drop, but they keep scooting the release date back over and over. Now it's SUPPOSED to be April 1, but it's changed again and again....

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bobby Holbrook II
on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:25:44 pm

Yes..I have the EF. I'm using Canon 16-35 L 2.8 Mark II, 24-70 2.8 L Mark II and 70-200 2.8 L Mark II.. And a few other L series lenses. I am expecting a 3rd party to have a EF to PL adapter at NAB. So I will be covered both ways. I will be purchasing either the 30-300 or Alura 45-250.. Waiting for NAB to make the call. But make no mistake the C300 with the L series lenses makes a Great picture.. I've been shooting all in C-Log and correcting and grading in Resolve... Amazing..What is even more interesting is that the first half of the project I shot all Alexa (slog) and mixing the two... After grading... SEAMLESS...Not kidding...It blows me away more and more everyday..

P2 University Grad.
Holbrook Multi-Media

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 20, 2012 at 8:38:18 pm

That's cool, and good to hear.

You can already get a PL to EF adapter (to use PL lenses on an EF mount), but they are pretty expensive...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/739705-REG/Zunow_PL_MOUNT_5D_PL_5D_PL...

They are a little more complicated than a straight mechanical mount because the deep flange depth on a PL lens won't allow it to natively be easily mounted to EF... ergo this mount has an optical element in it to allow it to accommodate the deeper rear... it's not just a straight "pass through" metal tube.

I've thought about going that route... but we already have a great set of Leitz-Panavision superspeed cine primes that we would want to use 99% of the time, so we're waiting for the PL version of the camera. Still I wish Canon had offered the body with swappable mounts.

At times I want to wait though. Seems like EVERY time I buy a Canon camera (and I've had many), about the day after I buy it they come out with another version (usually tacking an "s" or something to the name) that fixes all the little problems people had with the initial rollout. Serves me right for always trying to buy serial #0000004. Trying not to get burned yet again.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bobby Holbrook II
on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:00:38 pm

LOL I hear you and thanks for the link.. but I'm waiting on HotRods and a few others that I heard had designed EF-PL just for the C300. So NAB should be were they premiere those. Either way, the "L" lenses look great for the mean time.. My goal is to find a great adapter and then try out a set of Cooke S4i's on it..That I am sure would blow me away... As for the first one.. LOL I have S/N 0008 C300...

P2 University Grad.
Holbrook Multi-Media

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Mar 20, 2012 at 9:16:44 pm

S4i's would look fantastic indeed on it, I'm sure. I hoping ours will (fingers crossed), and I think they will since our lenses are comparable to the Cookes.

Not 100% sure the S4i lens metadata would transfer to the camera though a lens adapter though, if that's important to you. It might... I dunno... I suppose you'd just need a lens adapter with the proper electronic connections. I haven't investigated those enough yet, just a wild guess.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]