FORUMS: list search recent posts

XM2 Mini DV tape capture

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Hickford
XM2 Mini DV tape capture
on Jan 17, 2012 at 2:39:06 pm

Hi All,

Not sure if I'm in the right category, but here goes.

I was supplied with some mini dv tapes from an event a few months ago - they've been sitting safely on a shelf since, waiting for the time when they're needed.

I've just tried to capture the tapes using a Canon XM2 but all I'm seeing is a blue screen and timecode (no picture or sound).

I've tested other tapes on the camera and they work fine, but I don't have anything else to capture these tapes with at the moment.

I'm obviously quite worried about were the footage has gone.

Is this something that can happen? That footage can vanish entirely from a tape leaving just the timecode, or could it be that there's a compatability issue between the camera used to record the tapes and the XM2?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated while I wait to hear back from the guy who shot the footage to see if he has any thoughts.

Thanks

Martin

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: XM2 Mini DV tape capture
on Jan 17, 2012 at 8:03:25 pm

do you mean Canon XL-2? If the tapes were recorded in HDV or some other format they won't play back on your XL-2. Find out what format they were recorded in.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: XM2 Mini DV tape capture
on Apr 16, 2012 at 12:31:54 am

Find out what camera the tapes came from, could be a codec issue, the Canon may not read the tapes

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]