FORUMS: list search recent posts

XL2 shutter speed for slow motion

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Mendoza
XL2 shutter speed for slow motion
on Jan 13, 2012 at 4:16:55 am

I'm shooting a sports video that has fast moving objects like players and soccer balls. What settings (e.g. Shutter speed) would you recommend for these fast moving objects. There are also specific shots I know will be put in slow motion in editing. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: XL2 shutter speed for slow motion
on Jan 13, 2012 at 4:52:53 am

Well typically, for natural looking slow-mo (or even regular speed), a "normal" shutter (the equivalent of a 180° film camera shutter) is one over twice the frame rate. That is, if you were shooting 24fps, then a "normal" shutter speed would be 1/48th of a second. If you wanted to, say, overcrank to 72fps (for one-third slow-mo), then a normal shutter would be 1/144th of a second.

BUT, with the XL2 you can't overcrank. Your max is 30fps. Best you can really do is shoot at interlaced at 60i, and extract the fields into frames so that you are effectively getting 60 frames per second. If you import that into a 24p project, you can get a 40% slow mo with decent results.

In that scenario, a "normal" shutter that would give good results would be 1/120th of a second (one over 2x 60).

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]