FORUMS: list search recent posts

(canon XL H1) How to record audio when HD-SDI is pluged

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dmitry Kartsev
(canon XL H1) How to record audio when HD-SDI is pluged
on Jan 3, 2012 at 4:41:30 pm

Hi to everyone,
I found that xl h1 does not have sdi audio. So I have blackmagic decklin sdi and a lot of tapes. I found a solution: I am recording video through sdi to media express and audio analog to adobe audition in same time...live. Then in premiere syncing video and audio.
Question: does anyone have better idea?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: (canon XL H1) How to record audio when HD-SDI is pluged
on Jan 3, 2012 at 5:02:34 pm

I think that would work. It might be a bit cumbersome and a lot of time-consuming syncing if you really have a lot of footage you are dealing with.

We also use the XLH1 and Premiere, but we don't use Blackmagic, we have Matrox cards in our computers (Matrox AXIO LE cards). With those, when capturing in Premiere you can easily define the capture paths you want (video from SDI and analog audio via either balanced XLR or balanced AES/EBU or SDI embedded). With that, it's easy to capture the SDI video and the analog audio to the same AVI file in one step. But again, that's for Matrox... could it be that Blackmagic has a similar option somewhere? It might be buried.

Barring that, if you have tons of footage you might want to beg/borrow/rent an XLH1s. The later version of the H1 does embed audio in the HD-SDI signal.

But... your scheme would work, I think... it just might be pretty laborious if there's lots of footage.

I don't know why Canon did not choose to embed audio in the first generation of the XLH1, but alas they didn't.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kartsev
on Jan 4, 2012 at 8:10:17 am

Hello Todd,
Unfortunately my location is Cyprus and small town Paphos, so I can not rent any camcorder especially NTSC. I think I am the only who use NTSC camcorder on the island. I got it from NY... about 4 years ago for non broadcast projects. Anyway thanks for your thoughts sharing =)
It was really big surprise when I found that no embed audio in xlh1.

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Jan 4, 2012 at 5:34:15 pm

Hi Dmitry,
why don't you capture your tapes through firewire? A/V Quality will be better than using SDI.
Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kartsev
on Jan 5, 2012 at 11:16:31 am

My firewire port is burned. No one on the island can fix it. We have vary bad service here and expensive. I can not send now to Israil or Europe to service. I need to make projects asap.

Return to posts index

Paolo Castellano
on Jan 5, 2012 at 9:55:39 pm

Good Reason :-); firewire port repair is very expansive, in my opinion it would be better to buy a Legria HV40* as a player instead of repairing the Firewire port of your XLH1.
*I just bought one under 500,00Euro while SRP is over 1000,00!
Best Regards,

Paolo.Castellano@ivs.it
http://www.ivsEdits.com
-----------------------
"Post Fata Resurgo"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]