FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony HVR-V1U camera will not play tapes shot on Canon XH-A1S

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Furrer
Sony HVR-V1U camera will not play tapes shot on Canon XH-A1S
on Dec 18, 2011 at 6:30:40 pm

A friend shot footage for me on their Canon XH-A1S in 24p and I wanted to use my Sony HVR-V1U as a deck to capture the footage into FCP 7, but when the tapes are inserted into the camera, the Sony camera tells me to "CHANGE TO CORRECT TAPE FORMAT". Anyone know if this is a proprietary camera issue or there is a specific setting I need to adjust on the camera. I've tried everything I could think of.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Sony HVR-V1U camera will not play tapes shot on Canon XH-A1S
on Dec 18, 2011 at 8:06:07 pm

Yeah, unfortunately you do have a compatibility issue, and that footage cannot be played with that particular device. There are no camera changes or settings that you can tweak that will make it happen.

It has to do with Canon's somewhat proprietary way that they do 24p, which they call "24f."

It has no effect on standard-def footage. If you shoot with the Canon in SD mode in either 24f or 60i mode, then the footage can be played by most any DV or HDV camcorder or deck.

And if you shoot in HDV mode in 60i, then the footage can be played in most any HDV camcorder or deck.

BUT if you shoot in HDV mode and at 24fps (24f mode), then the footage can only be played back out of a Canon camera... or in a very few particular HDV decks that can specifically handle the footage, such as the Sony M35 deck.

Easiest thing to do would be to capture from the original source camera, if it is available. Barring that, you need to get your hands on another Canon camera to use for playback. The good news is that it doesn't have to be a high-end Canon... most any of the Canon HDV camcorders will work, even a consumer model. Lots of people who are in this boat use the cheap and plentiful little HV20 camcorders as decks for Canon 24f footage. We shoot a lot of Canon 24f footage, so that's what we do in all of our suites.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]