FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using mini-hdmi cameras for live production

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Roy
Using mini-hdmi cameras for live production
on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:32:31 pm

I recently got an HD video switcher with 4 hdmi inputs. Most of the cameras out now have a mini-hdmi out but do they actually work in a production environment? I have a Canon XH-A1 which is great cuz it's got SDI out; ideal for my mixer. But what about something like the Vixia HFS 100? Even if I gaff up the awkward mini hdmi adapter will it output a clean signal without auto shutoff or going into demo mode? Anybody have any experience with using a $1000 HD camera in a live production environment?
Thanks for any responses.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Using mini-hdmi cameras for live production
on Dec 19, 2011 at 6:01:01 am

I have shot HDMI out to a AJA KiPro with a Sony Z7U (not exactly $1000) and it was a regular sized HDMI interconnect. It worked fine. The HDMI cable is a pain in the butt but some velcro helped it from being tugged out. I see no reason this wouldn't work with my HV40s which I have used to copy the tape to the Ki Pro hard drive. I really do not understand why we have xlr cables which work great and then consumers have to struggle with miniplugs which are problematic or why we have SDI and BNC plugs which work great and then we have to deal with stiff easily disconnected HDMI. I mean how much could possibly be saved by these consumer interconnects? My guess is it will work for you. But test it before the gig.

Power saving mode is an option that can be turned off.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]