FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing Canon 7D footage with a separate audio source!

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David O' Sullivan
Syncing Canon 7D footage with a separate audio source!
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:57:27 pm

Hi I am in big trouble.I recorded a couple of interviews on the 7D without source audio. I have audio files from a separate audio device (Olympus Digital Voice Recorder WS-650S) the problem is I cannot seem to sync the video and audio files. The audio seems to be out of sync with the waveforms also. I am a bit new to this and I have a serious deadline. Could anyone please help me out on this issue.

Canon 7D. FCP 7.03, shot at 1280x720 at 60fps

Return to posts index

Ben Oliver
Re: Syncing Canon 7D footage with a separate audio source!
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:11:48 pm

there are a few issues you could be encountering.

1. if the camera was far away from the audio recorder, you can certainly experience adrift, in which case, ignore the audio waves and go directly to the lips. try to find P or B sounds, people clapping hands, hits, things like that much simpler.

2. Make sure the audio you have is at 48k, and if not, make it so by rendering it out at 48k. Different sample rates can make things drift out of sync, and the waveforms will not match.

3. In case the 2 devices just simply won't sync...they could have different time bases.....you are hooped.

In that case, if all else fails, what has worked for me in the past when this happens, is that you need to watch and sync. Find a sync point, watch it. When the drift gets to bad its unwatchable, go back, sync, repeat...keep going.....can be very time intensive, and it may ultimately not work...

Good Luck!!! If all else fails, find a person who really knows Pro-Tools to help. Even if you have to pay them

Return to posts index

David O' Sullivan
Re: Syncing Canon 7D footage with a separate audio source!
on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:04:08 pm

Hi Ben thanks for the Reply! I sorted the problem by (just like you suggested) rendering the audio in compressor at 48k. It worked a treat. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]