FORUMS: list search recent posts

Footage shot on XHA1 captured with a HV40?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paco Sweetman
Footage shot on XHA1 captured with a HV40?
on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:18:19 pm

Is this possible? I have footage that I cannot watch because I have a Sony Z1 and it won't play the footage. So I was gonna rent a HV40 to capture the footage.

Will this work?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Footage shot on XHA1 captured with a HV40?
on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:23:27 pm

Yep.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Paco Sweetman
on Oct 13, 2011 at 7:37:55 pm

Thanks for Todd.

Return to posts index

Paco Sweetman
on Oct 16, 2011 at 4:02:04 pm

I meant to say thank for THAT Todd.

One more Question:

Could I capture the footage from an XHA1 on a HV20? I was thinking about buying one to capture this footage from it?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 16, 2011 at 4:54:01 pm

Yes, people do that all the time... including us.

Well, we don't do that exactly... but close. We primarily shoot with the XLH1 (which is the XHA1's big brother), and we capture in our edit suites with the little HV20 camcorders.

They're just about the easiest and cheapest deck you will find for Canon footage.

The issue lies with Canon's somewhat proprietary way of shooting 24P footage (which they call 24f), and the combination of HDV.

If you shoot STANDARD def in 24f or 60i, most any DV or HDV deck will play it. And if you shoot HDV in 60i, most any HDV deck will play it. BUT, if you shoot with the combination of HDV and 24f (which is what we almost always do), that's where you run into "capture challenges," as most decks will not be able to play the footage. It has to be captured via a Canon camera, or with one of a very few decks that can handle the Canon 24f footage (such as the Sony HVR-M35).

Thus the HV20 is a super easy and cheap alternative to that. You can also find HV20 cameras on ebay, gently used with low hours, for practically next to nothing.

Also, aside from the difficulty with manual focusing, and the lack of a true manual mode (you have to know how to "trick it" to get it to behave completely manually), the HV20 is actually a great camera, also... especially considering its throwaway price. We've used one as a B-cam or a crashcam on occasion, and they are pretty amazing.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]