FORUMS: list search recent posts

External microphone on left channel and internal microphone on right channel?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas D Kehoe
External microphone on left channel and internal microphone on right channel?
on Sep 22, 2011 at 8:20:16 pm

I have a Canon Vixia HF S100 camcorder. When I plug in my wireless microphone it records onto the left channel. It would seem to be good insurance to use the right channel to record from the internal microphone, or from my shotgun microphone plugged into the hotshoe, in case the wireless microphone fails. Is there any way to do this? As far as I can see, when an external microphone is plugged into the MIC jack, all internal microphones are switched off. I suppose that I could go to Radio Shack and buy a two monaural 3.5mm jacks into one stereo 3.5mm plug, then plug a second external microphone into the second channel. That just seems like needless complexity.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: External microphone on left channel and internal microphone on right channel?
on Sep 28, 2011 at 11:01:13 pm

You should not have to do any of that, you can see if the mic is working re LCD or is it different to the Canon HV20/30/40. Never had the Rode Stereo Mic fail ? Good luck !

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Thomas D Kehoe
Re: External microphone on left channel and internal microphone on right channel?
on Sep 29, 2011 at 2:35:53 pm

The microphone volume meter on the camcorder screen shows volume, not quality of sound. Last week I connected the camcorder to my wireless microphone's jack "Phone Out" instead of "Mike Out" and told my assistants to do the sound check. One said it sounded bad but other said it sounded fine. When I tried to edit the video it sounded terrible. Plenty of volume but distorted. I've now made my own labels on the microphone receiver that say "TO CAMCORDER" and "HEADPHONES." If I'd been able to set up the camcorder to record the second channel from its built-in microphone we would have been able to salvage some of the footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]