FORUMS: list search recent posts

MKII water stain or scratched sensor?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elissa Bogos
MKII water stain or scratched sensor?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:33:13 pm

Hi everyone!

Recently I noticed what looks like a row of white spots, almost like a water stain, in the same location everytime I shoot video with my MKII. Since it only shows up during video, I realize it's related to the sensor and not my lens or the mirror.

When I examined the sensor while using the "manual clean" function, I saw what looks like a streak of water. I've tried the sensor clean many times but the spot will not go away, clearly because it's not dust. I showed the sensor to two people, one who said it was scratched and the other who said it looked like a water stain.

I change lenses often while working, so it could, theoretically, be either. However, it doesn't look like a scratch (to me at least).

I've uploaded a cropped and enlarged video still where the spots are visible.

Does anyone have any input on what they think this might be? The darker spots are from my lens (which needs to be cleaned) and go away once I do so, but it's the white spots that I can't get rid of.

Does it look like a scratch? If not, and it is water or some kind of oil residue (I've never applied any liquid to it, but it's possible a drop of rain might have made its way in if I changed lenses outside at one point), what can I do to remove it?

I'm nowhere near any kind of Canon dealer or even reputable camera shop that could take a look and clean it, so if it was something that could even be removed, I'd have to order a kit of some kind (maybe arctic butterfly?) from BH Photo or Adorama and have it shipped to me.
But again, that's if it can be removed (and is not a scratch.)

Sorry for the ramble, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved