FORUMS: list search recent posts

MKII water stain or scratched sensor?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elissa Bogos
MKII water stain or scratched sensor?
on Sep 19, 2011 at 6:33:13 pm

Hi everyone!

Recently I noticed what looks like a row of white spots, almost like a water stain, in the same location everytime I shoot video with my MKII. Since it only shows up during video, I realize it's related to the sensor and not my lens or the mirror.

When I examined the sensor while using the "manual clean" function, I saw what looks like a streak of water. I've tried the sensor clean many times but the spot will not go away, clearly because it's not dust. I showed the sensor to two people, one who said it was scratched and the other who said it looked like a water stain.

I change lenses often while working, so it could, theoretically, be either. However, it doesn't look like a scratch (to me at least).

I've uploaded a cropped and enlarged video still where the spots are visible.

http://i56.tinypic.com/346ujq0.jpg

Does anyone have any input on what they think this might be? The darker spots are from my lens (which needs to be cleaned) and go away once I do so, but it's the white spots that I can't get rid of.

Does it look like a scratch? If not, and it is water or some kind of oil residue (I've never applied any liquid to it, but it's possible a drop of rain might have made its way in if I changed lenses outside at one point), what can I do to remove it?

I'm nowhere near any kind of Canon dealer or even reputable camera shop that could take a look and clean it, so if it was something that could even be removed, I'd have to order a kit of some kind (maybe arctic butterfly?) from BH Photo or Adorama and have it shipped to me.
But again, that's if it can be removed (and is not a scratch.)

Sorry for the ramble, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Elissa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]