FORUMS: list search recent posts

Firewire Capture: HV20/40 vs XHA1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david grantham
Firewire Capture: HV20/40 vs XHA1
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:09:12 pm

From HD footage on tape, I'm firewire-capturing both an HD version and an SD version (the latter down-resed by the camera.)

Wondering if I can expect the same capture and down-res quality from an HV20/40 ($30/$35 per day respectively) vs renting the XHA1 ($125 per day) on which the footage was shot.

Opinions appreciated.

Return to posts index

david grantham
Re: Firewire Capture: HV20/40 vs XHA1
on Sep 9, 2011 at 3:14:32 am

I asked Canon. Turns out all those cameras (and HV30) down-res HD to SD identically, and always to 3:2 pulldown @ 60i.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:58:22 am

true. keep in mind that if the heads are slightly out of alignment on either cam, it's best to use the cam you shot with. also the hv 20-30-40 cams are poor vcrs. the remote sensor is in the front of the cam and its not always very responsive. if you are capturing whole tapes no biggie. i guess.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Sep 20, 2011 at 4:17:01 am

Thanks. In fact it turned out that nothing on my computer would recognize a rented HV40 in HDV mode for capture. At least not Ppro or HDVSplit. Tried all the reported fixes after searching many forums:

camera output to HDV/DV (not DVlock)- check.
try two different firewire cords - check (besides, it works for SD)
camera record mode to same mode (1080 24F) as playback - check
turn off camera and turn on again - check
camera playback standard set to auto or HDV (not DV)- check
camera-specific capture drivers installed on computer - check (canon site says not required)
computer's IEEE 1394 drivers current - check
PPro project setting matched to HDV footage res/framerate - check (tried every other project setting too.)
restarting Ppro while camera connected - check

the only thing I haven't tried yet is uninstalling the IEEE 1394 drivers - current though they are - and the re-installing them again. Saving up possible fixes to get the camera again and try them.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 20, 2011 at 2:07:47 pm

canon has a slightly different firewire standard I've heard and can be fussy. try the reset button on the cam.

try to have the camera powered on and in play mode then power up computer and open editing app. I got so tired of this dance that lately I just copy the tapes to a ki pro as ProRes 422. You might want to convert to SD in the editor not from the cam. You might try a sony deck instead of a camera.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

david grantham
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:17:16 pm

Thanks Craing. It's indeed a pain.

I suppose the HD capture trouble might be related to the firewire port being on the sound card. (It's the only one on the machine. But it works fine for SD.) A practical solution may be a firewire card.

I've never had any trouble capturing SD, either from my old XL2, nor my SD capture camera (a little Canon ZR90.) I'm just now getting into HD - I suppose it's a whole different set of demands.

It's difficult when some aparrently sure-fire remedies are so expensive.

Return to posts index

david grantham
Re: Firewire Capture: HV20/40 vs XHA1 - Finally!
on Sep 20, 2011 at 7:21:41 pm

Turns out that though my 1394 host controller driver was up to date, my 1394 net adapter (I always seemed to notice only one or the other - didn't appreciate that they were different items) was not.

Updated that and voila. Thanks for the comments, which got me back at it with some hope...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]