FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XF 300 workflow

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julia Rooke
Canon XF 300 workflow
on Aug 29, 2011 at 5:30:48 pm

I have a Canon XF300. I want to download my CF cards to a portable hard drive such as a LaCie or G Raid on the road. Can I do this using a PC laptop which has the Canon XF utility inside AND still be able to upload rushes from the portable into FCP. Or is there a PC v MAC incompatibility? Surely I don't have to buy a Mac Book Air for £1000 just to download my CF cards? Please please advise!! I tried it at home and the MAC does not seem to want to read any files copies from the Canon through the PC.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Canon XF 300 workflow
on Aug 30, 2011 at 10:39:53 am

Julia, copy the card contents in their entire folder structure onto the windows (ntfs or fat) drive.i.e. Do not copy just individual files. You. Should be able tothen plug the drive into he mac and copythe entire folder to the mac. Thense the canon xf utility to view rushes without using fcp, if you wish. Make sense? I often use this to eliminate bad clips on my windows laptop before copying to the mac.

Alf

Return to posts index

Julia Rooke
on Sep 1, 2011 at 11:20:53 am

Thanks for that. Trouble is that if I try to useCanon XF Utility to view files off a LaCie Portable Hard drive containing canon rushes fed in via a PC - they automatically save in the Mac hard drive, which bungs up my computer. It wont allow me to view my files direct from the portable LaCie - probably because it was loaded up from a PC. Moreover I cannot even ingest into FCP using 'log and transfer' because it tells me the portable LaCie is in Read-Only mode. So I have to copy all the files from the Lacie to a portable hard drive programmed for the Mac and then can I import my files into FCP. Its quite long winded. Is this correct? Or am I missing something big?

Return to posts index

Teresa Bush
on Sep 2, 2011 at 8:52:08 am

Maybe your portable LaCie is NTFS? Hard drive with NTFS does not work well with Mac.

I don’t think FCP would write the .mxf video on your LaCie, but there might be some settings for saving the sequence to LaCie.

I find the article about Canon XF305. It does not list your issue, but may give you some clue.
http://canon-videoconverter.com/?p=873

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]