FORUMS: list search recent posts

Vintage lenses on a 7d or 5D

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Kenyon
Vintage lenses on a 7d or 5D
on Aug 4, 2011 at 3:17:00 pm

Hi

I'm still deciding on which of these 2 Canon models to buy, dependant on the money I have to spend. If I have to buy separate lenses then the decision will be made by the cost alone, ie the 7D would be the one.

However (and this is where i'm proabably going to sound waaaaay too hopeful), i've recently acquired a set of 4 old vintage lenses from the late 70s for a very low price and was wondering if they could save me from having to buy new or if they wouldn't be practical to use on such modern cameras.

The lenses are:

- Yashica ML Zoom 42-75mm 1:3.5-4.5
- Super Paragon PMC Auto Zoom 28-50mm 1:3.5-4.5
- Yashica DSB 50mm 1:1.9
- Super Paragon PMC Auto Zoom 80-200mm 1:3.8

I'd have to get an adaptor but what kind of performance would I expect to get with either of the Canons?
I've had a play with the cameras that they came with (Yashica FX-2 and Yashica 107 MultiProgram) and they appear to be pretty sharp (especially the 200m and 28-50mm).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Return to posts index

Robin Christmas
Re: Vintage lenses on a 7d or 5D
on Aug 4, 2011 at 11:43:19 pm

I have used an adapter that allowed me to use my Vintage (1950's) Nikon lenses on an EOS Canon with mixed results. There have been enormous improvements in optics over the years and while I was able to get a usable image,the quality paled in comparison to new Canon lenses.

Also all automatic features are lost - no auto focus, no auto exposure (though you should be able to monitor the exposure in the Canon's LCD screen.) If you are considering buying a 7D or 5D, I expect you want the best possible image quality and I don't think you would be happy with the results from your lenses. As well, I suspect you will have considerable difficulty finding a suitable adapter for these lenses.

You might consider getting a less expensive Canon such as the T3i or the 60D and put the savings into some good Canon glass.

Return to posts index

Daniel Kenyon
Re: Vintage lenses on a 7d or 5D
on Aug 5, 2011 at 3:50:22 pm

Thanks for the reply

I've just ordered a C/Y Canon mount from Fotodiox for £20 so it's worth a little punt to see if they work. I'll be mainly using the camera for video so at least in Live View i'll be able to get a good impression of the image to ensure correct focusing, exposure etc. If at least one of them give good results then i'll be happy, the Yashica camera and 4 lenses only cost me £30! I hope the 50mm is the one to make me smile.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]