FORUMS: list search recent posts

XA10 PAL? NTSC? or doesn't it matter anymore?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Ramsey
XA10 PAL? NTSC? or doesn't it matter anymore?
on Jul 31, 2011 at 2:11:29 pm

I'm looking to buy a Canon XA10 0r a Panasonic AG-AC7 camera and with the parlous state of the US dollar at the moment it's way cheaper to buy over there than here in OZ even with shipping.
What I need to know is in the past you had either PAL or NTSC. But now with HD does PAL vs NTSC matter anymore?
If I shoot in 1080/50p on a camera from the USA surely I just pump out my final edited sequence in PAL for broadcast and there's no problems.
Or are there?
I notice that for instance the Panasonic AG-AC7 is not released outside the USA and Japan so is there still an issue with using these "NTSC" based cameras in PAL countries?
Brett

Brett Ramsey
Producer
IN PIT LANE
C31 Melbourne

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: XA10 PAL? NTSC? or doesn't it matter anymore?
on Aug 1, 2011 at 2:34:41 am

[Brett Ramsey] "But now with HD does PAL vs NTSC matter anymore?"

Yes it definitely matters. But not because of "line count" resolution anymore, because 1080 lines is 1080 lines, no matter what your accent. The difference is the frame rate. 24p and 60i are NTSC frame rates, whereas 25 and 50 are PAL frame rates.

[Brett Ramsey] "If I shoot in 1080/50p on a camera from the USA surely I just pump out my final edited sequence in PAL for broadcast and there's no problems."

You are correct, no problems. That is, IF you can find a camera that can do that. Most NTSC cameras (that "camera fromt he USA" you mention) will shoot 24/60 but will NOT shoot 25/50. And conversely, most PAL cameras will shoot 25/50, but will NOT shoot 24/60. It's very rare to find a camera that has the magic NTSC/PAL button that will let you switch between the formats. With most, it's one or the other (sometimes firmware upgrades will allow that). I can't speak to the AG-AC7 so I don't know if it is switchable between PAL and NTSC. If it can, it's a rare beast but will do what you want. If not, you need to buy either the PAL or NTSC version, whichever is appropriate for your editing an final delivery needs.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Brett Ramsey
Re: XA10 PAL? NTSC? or doesn't it matter anymore?
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:54:58 am

Thanks for that, that clears it up.

Brett Ramsey
Producer
IN PIT LANE
C31 Melbourne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]