FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon hv30 grain issue

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryce Moose
Canon hv30 grain issue
on Jul 26, 2011 at 3:19:49 pm

Hello everyone. I seem to have this problem with really grainy footage while shooting with a canon hv30. I am borrowing it from a friend while i wait for my other one to get repaired. I don't notice the grain at all in both the viewfinder or the LCD screen. It shows up when I edit it in final cut pro 7. It's not light grain either. I have tried adding more light by getting clamp lights and pointing two of them towards the celling where I am. It brightens it up better, but still grain. Is there a setting on the camera somewhere? I've tried setting the camera to AV to adjust the f-stops and still grain. Outside shots are just fine unless I'm filming a shot of me in my car which I'm creating a driving scene.

thanks

Bryce

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon hv30 grain issue
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:09:43 pm

The problem is automation.

I don't have an HV30, but I have an HV20 that we use as a crashcam and functionally the cameras are the same. The issue with both the 20 and 30 is that although they are actually great little cameras, there is no way to put it in a pure manual mode. So, what I'm betting (almost certain) is happening, is that your camera is automatically jacking up the gain to compensate for exposure. You need to be able to manually control that, but Canon chose to consider this a fully-automatic-so-Uncle-Murray-can-shoot-birthday-home-videos camera and left off professional functionality like manual controls.

There are, however, ways to "trick" the camera into doing what you want, including not jacking up the gain.

Here is some useful info on that....

http://www.dvxuser.com/jason/hv20/

You can also do a Google search on HV20 or HV30 "tricks" and find a bunch of other people's solutions.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jul 28, 2011 at 11:28:43 pm

I shoot only 1920 x 1080p with this camcorder and have only noticed "grain" in low level lighting situations and edit in Premiere Pro, I do not think there is a way round this. You could try Tv set speed at 1/50 or lower, aperture wide open, do not use cinema mode. Good luck. PS. use pro tape only not consumer tape.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 7, 2011 at 4:17:45 pm

[Bryce Moose] "Outside shots are just fine"

So it is not a camera malfunction, but one of lighting. Small lenses need more light. Either work outdoors or use an open window as a key light or get yourself a light kit.

That said read through the manual and make sure you are not locked into the wrong settings. I teach my students to be on P mode, press in the joystick, push down to exposure, and manually set that. But in low light conditions the cam will auto boost the gain. Keep in mind the LCD shows a brighter image than a TV monitor. If you hook up your cam to a TV and watch it live you can get a good feel for the actual recorded image. FC does not show a true image in the canvas.

The HV20-30-40 are great little cams for the price but you need to provide them with light. A good light kit will last you a lot longer than a camera. Same with good audio gear. Both don't care what format you are shooting in. And both have good resale value if you get bored or want a new kit.

One other possibility: the camera is messed up. Try the reset button to bring all back to factory defaults. Hard to tell without seeing some footage.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]