FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can I connect this Canon camera to a VGA monitor?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noam Osband
How can I connect this Canon camera to a VGA monitor?
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:07:11 pm

I want this camera to serve as a feed into a teleprompter. I'm looking at prompters that use VGA monitors. Can I successfully hook up this camera to such a monitor? What do I need to buy to do that?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: How can I connect this Canon camera to a VGA monitor?
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:11:41 pm

Well, part of it will depend on what "this camera" is... you didn't say.

But if you have, for example, a camera that has component output, you'd need a converter box such as this...

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PYPBV760-Component-Video-Converter/dp/B0038AER8K

Again, that's if your camera has component output. If it has other outputs (composite, S-video, HDMI) you'd need whatever specific converter box that's appropriate for the flavor of camera output that you choose.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:14:52 pm

Oops. It'd be a canon vixia HF M31: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/802175-REF/Canon_4353B002AA_VIXIA_HF_... . So, I cant just use a connector cable? I need to also buy a converter box no matter what i do? do other camcorders have an output i wouldn't need a converter for?

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jul 19, 2011 at 10:34:36 pm

I don't know of any cameras that have a VGA output, so yes, you will likely need a converter box no matter what camera you choose. That, or choose a video monitor rather than a computer monitor for your teleprompter screen.

That camera has component, composite, or HDMI out... so you would need a converter box for one of those appropriate flavors of video.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Jul 20, 2011 at 7:02:54 pm

Do they make converters that I can use multiple devices in i.e. connect two different camcorders to two different monitors? I didn't see anything like this but that doesnt mean it doesnt exist....

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 6, 2011 at 1:55:24 am

Look into a video switcher/mixer.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 6, 2011 at 1:52:44 am

Try going from camera to laptop, laptop to teleprompter.

What's the purpose here? I read an article a while back in which they used a cam feed to teleprompter so that the interview subject was looking directly into the lens.

But they didn’t say how.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Noam Osband
on Aug 6, 2011 at 11:19:35 pm

That's indeed what I'm doing. I bought a VGA adapter. I'm going to be copying Errol Morris' setup, what he calls the Interroton: http://errolmorris.com/content/eyecontact/interrotron.html

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 7, 2011 at 2:48:22 am

Could you give me a link to the adapter? And let me know how your set up is working out. I've been wanting to do this for a while. Had the idea before reading article, but when I read it I thought cool ... but how? My teleprompter has vga in and my cameras have hdmi or component out.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 7, 2011 at 3:13:38 am

[Craig Alan] "Could you give me a link to the adapter?" You do mean converter, right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]