FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL-H1 - Two Problems (Viewfinder/Capture)

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Stark
Canon XL-H1 - Two Problems (Viewfinder/Capture)
on Jun 20, 2011 at 2:50:19 pm

On a shoot last week, the viewfinder for our Canon XL H1 color viewfinder suddenly turned monochrome, with a horizontal line across the screen. It still shoots in color, but the viewfinder displays black and white when hooked up to other cameras.

We had a second, possibly unrelated problem occur the next day. The firewire port would not interface with Final Cut Pro's capture screen. I tried re-starting the system, the MOTU IO, and the XL H1.

There's no way these have anything to do with each other, right? The B/W display seems to be an isolated viewfinder problem, but I can't find any occurrences of this problem anywhere else on the web. I've tried messing with the Focus Assist, but it doesn't seem to be related.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Ben

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon XL-H1 - Two Problems (Viewfinder/Capture)
on Jun 20, 2011 at 3:15:20 pm

I would think those issues are completely unrelated... I can't imagine how one has anything to do with the other... I believe it was just unfortunately coincidental back luck with the camera.

Since the viewfinder is also bad when hooked to other cameras, I'd bet that as far as that issue goes, the viewfinder itself is kaput and there is not an issue with the camera body.

Is the firewire port still not interfacing? Can you connect the camera (via firewire) to any other device (even another camera) to see if the port itself is hot? Firewire ports (especially the little 4-pin ports) are notorious for going bad in all kinds of devices.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Jun 21, 2011 at 2:43:28 am

I recently had a shoot using a client-supplied XL-H1 and I let them know that their viewfinder was also apparently blown out, black and white and very dark, so you should get that camera to a Canon service center.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Chris Cottrell
on Jun 22, 2011 at 5:08:11 pm

These definitly are two unrelated issues. However as far as the firewire goes, if its not being recognized by any other sources, chances are the board is fried.

http://www.tekmg.com

Return to posts index

Dmitry Kartsev
on Jan 4, 2012 at 8:19:39 am

I had problems with viewfinder. When I was rotting it(up/down).. my camcorder shutdown all time. I opened viewfinder by myself...found that some cables has no good connection to lcd. I fix it and problem with shutdown camcorder was finished.
But better to show guys from service.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]