FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon xha1 and hv40

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Fourchalk
Canon xha1 and hv40
on Jun 14, 2011 at 3:24:07 pm

Hi there! Has anyone used a canon hv series camera (I'm using hv40) as a second cam working alongside xha1? I've just started using it for coverage for weddings. I bought it specifically so the picture would be extremely close to the one my xha1 fires out. I have tried multiple settings to sync them as close as possible only to discover the hv40 looking much more vibrant then xha1.

Any thoughts on settings for either camera that would bring them closer to produce a consistent image.

Current settings on hv40 is normal mode (as opposed to its preset vibrant etc...) Tried customizing color/sharpness/contrast with its limited control features - no significant change.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Return to posts index

Tor Hellberg
Re: Canon xha1 and hv40
on Jul 8, 2011 at 12:51:09 pm

Thank you for posting this Rob! I have the exact same problem exept I'm using a HV30 together with an XHA1. The 6'th of August I'm going to cover a wedding using these two cameras, the HV30 for long shots and XHA1 for closeups (because of it's zoom and high qualety immage). I have not found the settings for matching the HV30 very well. I do not like to use the color correction in the editing programs because I always feel it destroys some of the sharpness and causes some color blurr, especially in red, I do not know why (I´m using Avid Studio currently). So my solution is using the "vivid" setting in HV30 and then try to match it in XHA1. The problem I feel with increasing the color saturation has for me being the dominance of red. So the last time I tested both cameras I reduced the red settings alot, possibly too much, and I did not get the result i wished for, but it went at least more close. I filmed a Michel Jacson tribute concert(as part of the audience, convincing the mixer to sneak in to cables to the mixing board for the XHA1 sound!) and used both cameras, you can see it on You>Tube here, the handheld being the HV30:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AestheticFilmArlov?feature=mhee#p/c/01654216DD2...
In this case I had the following settings for HXA1 (for wich I wasn't sattisfied at all):
GAM 2, KNE H, BLK P, PED 0, SET 0, SHP 6, HDF 5,DHV 0, COR 0, NR1 0, NR2 0, CMX 2, CGN 16, CHP 0, RGN -8, GGN 0, BGN 0,RGM 0, RBM 0, GRM 0, GBM 0, BRM 0, BGM 0. Please tell me if you find some better settings!
Tor

Return to posts index

Rob Fourchalk
on Jul 13, 2011 at 4:02:38 pm

Hi Tor - I've had to resort to color correction in FCP. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to resolve the matching of cameras very well. Nice work on the tribute - looks not bad of a match with the cameras. I'm going to try and find a better solution but looks like will have to customize settings big time in the xha1 (as hv so limited).

Did you hook up a wireless mic to the soundboard or maybe an xlr cable?
Nice sound. I've just started doing weddings and curious what method I'd need to hook up to soundboard from DJ.

Thanks for your response and maybe we can keep each other posted if find some ultimate solution.

Rob

Return to posts index

Tor Hellberg
on Jul 14, 2011 at 8:27:51 am

Hello and thanks for answer!
Sorry I wasn't really accurate about the linked clip I posted, I realized I used another setting and used color correction. Here is a clip that's not color corrected and used with the exact settings I mentioned with my XHA1: http://www.youtube.com/user/AestheticFilmArlov?feature=mhee#p/c/C78D31FAA9F...
But as I mentioned I haven't been able to fully match it with the HV30 (HV40) settings. I would probably increase the red a bit. If one is going to upload it on YouTube in HD it is better to use the "film like" settings which are for me 25 frames a second. This because the lower frame rate on YouTube, otherwise edgy lines will show up in the 1080p settings. As for the sound I learned that most mixer boards have an extra stereo XLR output channel one could use. So when covering a concert I always have with me two 10 meter XLR cables as well as two 5 meter XLR cables. This usually works out very well and gives supreme sound with the right volume setting. I don’t remember if I used the 24V phantom on or off. Otherwise for catching speech (as is for weddings) I use A Sennheiser G2 wireless microphone, this has worked out very well when correctly placed.
Please tell me too if you find a good solution to the matching of the XHA1 and the HV40.
Best regards
Tor

Return to posts index

Tor Hellberg
on Jul 14, 2011 at 10:04:06 am

Hello again,
I made some further research into the HV30 color settings and after a while found it quite simple. It is all about color saturation and mostly the blue settings. As for the "normal" HV30 color setting I found using CGN 25, RGN -12, GGN 0 and BGN 10 looking quite good. For the vivid setting in HV30 it seemed matching the following setting quite well: CGN 30, RGN -11, GGN 0 and BGN 5.
Tell me what you think if you try it out!
Tor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]