FORUMS: list search recent posts

size of sensor and depth of field

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
size of sensor and depth of field
on Jun 14, 2011 at 10:42:56 am

Hi Experts,
I have a Canon HF10, which has served me well. I'm thinking of upgrading to a better camera, particularly because I'd like to have more depth of field (bokeh) control. Here's the thing: My current camera, the HF10, apparently has a "1/3.2-inch" sensor. The one I'm considering for purchase has three 1/3" sensors. What seems odd to me is this: if the sensors are basically the same size, then am I not likely to gain any better depth of field (bokeh) control? I realize I will get much better images (resolution, color, etc.), but will my depth of field be about the same with both my old and new cameras?
Thanks so much for your help!
Vic

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: size of sensor and depth of field
on Jun 14, 2011 at 2:33:09 pm

Any video camera with 1/3" sensors is going to have a veeeery deep depth of field... almost infinite, especially during brighter conditions (smaller iris).

You might indeed get a better picture, but you will get no appreciable depth-of-field control by switching to that camera. Getting a really shallow depth of field (except maybe at extreme focal lengths... i.e., zooming all the way in) will still be darn near impossible.

If you want to get a really shallow or controllable DoF with 1/3" sensors, the only real/best way is to use a 35mm DoF lens converter on the camera, and use 35mm-format lenses.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: size of sensor and depth of field
on Jun 15, 2011 at 10:57:31 am

I use an xf305 and can get pretty good dof from it, by controlling aperture with nb filters, but for really deep dof in wide angle, i switch to a 7d. Colors aren't as good, and it doesnt hold up to grading as well as the xf, but it's ok. I find both have their special strengths uses, like any tool.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]