FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on matching small Canon cameras to large Panny

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Jordan
Advice on matching small Canon cameras to large Panny
on Jun 4, 2011 at 3:34:56 pm

We are shooting 100's of cooking spots in a studio environment. Our main wide view camera is a Panasonic HPX-300 and we shoot AVC-Intra 1080i 24p. Then we bring that footage into FCP and convert to ProRes (HQ) .mov files. Great to edit with. Beautiful footage.

Our plan was to strategically place 2 additional Canon 5DMKII's for closeups. BUT...I just found out that these cameras are limited to 4GB of shooting video @ 1920x1080 24p. That's about 13 minutes. Well that messed everything up because each of these spots is about 30 minutes.

So now, I have to rethink this. I'd like some advice on the small Canon video Cameras. Again, I'll need to shoot in 1920x1080 HD. I'd like to bring those into FCP (log & transfer (and convert if necessary like above) to .mov files and then edit all those clips into one production piece. They have to be small cameras because of the tight locations.

I really love Canon so I'd like to stay with them if at all possible. NOT necessary though) Any advice on what small video camera would work well in this workflow? Any suggestions are very appreciated.

PS
My wife just told me that she saw ad on TV (can't remember what company it was) but in the commercial it said, "this camera is so good, we just decided to shoot the entire commercial with it". It was a small compact camera of some type she said.

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID eSATA External, 4TB Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
The entire Adobe Creative Suite 4, Design Premium.
Owner of Full Graphics Design Firm Houston, Tx 21 yrs.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
Re: Advice on matching small Canon cameras to large Panny
on Jun 4, 2011 at 4:31:10 pm

Maybe a camera like this one. Canon VIXIA HF S21
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_280HFS21/Canon-VIXIA-HF-S21.html?tp=6662&tab=d...

OR

What type of small cameras do they use on car dashboards etc. in a lot of the new TV programs?

Dam I wished I had gone to NAB this year!

Quad-Core, 2.93GHz, OS 10.6.2, 32GB Ram, 4TB RAID eSATA External, 4TB Internal, ATI Radeon HD 4870 graphics card, FCP Studio 7, AE 9.0.2, Boris BCC, FEC, CoreMelt 2, FxFactory Pro 2, idustrial revolution Volumetrix, Yanobox Motype, Squeeze for the Web, MacBook Pro (MBP) 2.6 GHz, Panasonic HPX300 Video Camera.
Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

Martin Jordan
Re: Advice on matching small Canon cameras to large Panny
on Jun 5, 2011 at 12:38:37 am

I found a solution to use my origianl plan of two 5DMKII cameras. See it here.
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/325/499#499

Sorry for the wasted thread.

Mac user since 1988.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]