FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon HG10 Shutter Speed Question

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Connor McBrine-Ellis
Canon HG10 Shutter Speed Question
on May 30, 2011 at 2:00:27 pm

If I set the shutter speed priority to 30 on the HG10, is that the same as the 30P setting on the HV30?

At a shoot I was using an HV30 and an HG10, so I set the shutter speed priority to 30 on the HG10, and switched the HV30 to HDV 30P. Upon deinterlacing I want to have both camera's footage as 30P progressive.

Should I use Blend deinterlacing on both and if I use blend with I see any blending motion artifacts (two frames overlapping) that I usually see when deinterlacing 60i with blend?

Thanks for the help

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Canon HG10 Shutter Speed Question
on May 30, 2011 at 5:31:14 pm

I can't speak to the exact settings you need because I don't use those particular cameras...

But as for "If I set the shutter speed priority to 30 on the HG10, is that the same as the 30P setting on the HV30?"... well, the answer to that is easy.... NOOOOOOO.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Shutter speed is one thing, frame rate is another. The two have little to do with each other, other than working together to determine exposure.

Setting the shutter priority to 30 does one thing and one thing only... it gives you an exposure of 1/30th of a second for each frame. That's all... it does nothing to determine your frame rate, which is what 30P is... i.e., 30 progressive frames per second.

For what it's worth, a "normal" shutter speed is usually one over twice the frame rate. That is, if you are shooting 24P, then 1/48th of a second is considered "normal" (normal being the equivalent of a film camera shooting with a 180° shutter). Likewise, if you are shooting 30fps then a normal shutter speed would be 1/60th.

Just keep in mind that the two things are very separate and very different. If you want to shoot 30p, there's a different setting on your camera to do that (assuming your camera can shoot 30p)... but setting the shutter speed to 30 doesn't get you there. You could still be shooting 24p, 30p, or 60i (whatever your camera's frame rate is set at), just with an exposure time of 1/30th of a second for each frame.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Connor McBrine-Ellis
on May 30, 2011 at 9:37:54 pm

Ok thanks, thats some very helpful info.

Does shooting at 30 shutter recording at 60i make it easier to convert to actual 30p? What sort of deinterlacer should I use in that situation? thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on May 30, 2011 at 10:46:48 pm

[Connor McBrine-Ellis] "
Does shooting at 30 shutter recording at 60i make it easier to convert to actual 30p?"

It's hard to say. It shouldn't, but it might. It might also make it more difficult to convert to 30p since you would have twice as much motion blur than when shooting with a "normal" shutter speed and the two fields of each frame might be more radically different from each other than usual. Although, with some cameras when you shoot at a shutter speed equal to or slower than the actual frame rate, it ends up doubling fields and/or frames which might make for a better 30p conversion. If so, that would just be a happy accident... not because that's what it was designed to do.

Bottom line... you won't know until you try it. But fortunately its something that'd be super easy to test. Just grab your camera and shoot a minute or so's worth of 60i test footage at both 1/30th and 1/60th ("normal") and see which converts to 30p better.

[Connor McBrine-Ellis] "What sort of deinterlacer should I use in that situation?"

Dunno, I don't know what editing platform you use. If you use FCP or Vegas, I'm no help... we only edit with Premiere Pro in CS3 and CS4 versions. If I were to do it, there are a couple of different ways in Premiere to do that or it could be done in After Effects, but I'd probably use one of our Magic Bullet plugins to do the deinterlacing... seems to work better than most anything else.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]