FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera Recommendations?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gaby Houston
Camera Recommendations?
on Apr 26, 2011 at 6:54:42 pm

I'm in the market for a new camera. I'm primarily a video editor, but I'm getting more freelance work that requires me to shoot, so I'd like to have something semi-nice on hand. It doesn't need to be a powerhouse as I mainly shoot for web.

Not sure if I want a DSLR that does video or a lower end prosumer HD camcorder. My only restriction is that I can't really pay more than $1500. Whatever quality limitations I'm putting myself under because of budget, I'm ok with it. I really don't need anything super fancy, just something that looks nice online and gets the job done. I shoot music videos, interviews, promotional stuff mainly and edit on FCP.

I'm not attached to any brand. Any suggestions? Thanks!

- Gaby

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Camera Recommendations?
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:55:51 am

I'm not wild about DSLRs for video, though I own a 7D. If you want a great video camera, buy a video camera. Panasonic and Sony make great sub $1500 cameras. If you want a great still camera, the 7D or T2i is great. Love em. But they are *expensive* after buying a decent audio recorder, lens, mics, etc. You can buy a really good video camera, plus a Rode mic, for less than a 7D and many lens. The videocam will do a great job. You can learn to work around a lack of DOF. (like putting the subject a long ways from the background, and adding ND filters, etc). The DSLRs all have substantial ergonomic problems with video taping on them.

Under $1500 is really not going to buy much camera. You need to think $2500 and up. You might get a good buy on ebay, but watch out for frauds selling, for example, Japanese warranty Panasonic cams. If you ever need repairs, it can't be done. They are out there, currently advertising on Ebay.

Good luck!

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]