FORUMS: list search recent posts

good cheap batteries for xha1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Fourchalk
good cheap batteries for xha1
on Apr 23, 2011 at 6:38:54 pm

Been on every conceivable website for cheaper batteries to buy for my xha1 but can't get an accurate read as to which ones may be good and which may crap-o-la. I'm looking for biggest capacity battery for shooting weddings. (BP 970G).

Does anyone buy cheaper (good) batteries with this capacity and if so from where and what specific brand etc...

Thanks...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: good cheap batteries for xha1
on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:21:47 pm

Well, you might be asking for two things that contradict each other a bit... you're asking for the "biggest capacity battery"... and you're also looking for cheap batteries. Those two things might not go hand in hand.

I don't use the XHA1, but I use the XLH1 which is the big brother to the A1 and aside from the lens mount they are functionally the same camera. We always power our camera with the Anton-Bauer professional "bricks." Those will be the longest-lasting batteries you can find, by far. Canon makes an Anton-Bauer goldmount battery holder that fits on the back of the H1. I haven't looked, but I'd imagine they make one for the A1 as well. With that configuration, I can power my camera for what seems like forever. I haven't tested it for maximum duration, but I have never exhausted a battery on a single shoot. My guess is that the battery would allow continuous shooting for something in the 8-10 maybe even 12 hour range.

BUT... they are not cheap. A single AB battery is going to run you several several hundred dollars... but well worth it. There is another company called "Batteries 4 Broadcast" (I believe they are batteries4broadcast.com) that make AB goldmount compatible batteries that are a lot cheaper. I personally haven't used them and can't vouch for them, but one of the television stations here uses them and is happy with their performance.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rob Fourchalk
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:26:08 pm

Awesome feedback! Thanks Todd. If you could help me out with one for dilemma. I know you don't use the xh a1 but do you know of a wide angle attachment lens for this camera. I know canon sells .8x for approx. 350.00 but what about the cheaper ones? http://www.amazon.com/0-43X-Angle-Macro-CANON-XH-A1/dp/B002ULWT92 Any opinions??

Thanks again...

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Apr 26, 2011 at 9:55:40 pm

[Rob Fourchalk] "Thanks Todd. If you could help me out with one for dilemma. I know you don't use the xh a1 but do you know of a wide angle attachment lens for this camera."

Well Rob... I'm afraid I'm not going to be of too much help. I don't use the stock Canon zoom lens at all, I only use PL mount prime lenses so I'm pretty much in the dark as far as screw-on attachments for the native Canon lens go.

BUT... I will give you this general cautionary observation: the most important part of your camera by far... is the lens. And when it comes to camera lenses, as far as glass goes the old "you get what you pay for" rule almost always applies. I'll always tell people that it's fine to cut corners (when unnoticeable), fine to skimp on this or that, fine to build a dolly out of old skateboard wheels rather than pay a couple grand... but don't buy cheap glass.

I'm a pretty noteworthy tightwad, but the lenses I use were not inexpensive... in fact, they're worth several times as much as the cameras we put them on. Probably all the cameras we have put together, in fact. And it shows. Look for bargains, but don't look for bargain lenses (especially not new cheap lenses). Sometimes you can find really good deals on used higher-end lenses that are really great glass, but typically a new off-the-shelf cheap lens is cheap for a reason.

If you want to buy a wide-angle converter (or any other lens), spring for a good one and look for bargains in other types of gear.

Just my 2ยข

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Rob Fourchalk
on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:48:13 pm

I'm gonna take your advice Todd. Good quality lenses and (batteries) are too important too go cheap as you say.

I love to find the bargain way of doing things but I totally see what your saying - just needed to hear it I guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]