FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:2:2 - One Sensor vs. 4:2:0 three sensors

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Dedula
4:2:2 - One Sensor vs. 4:2:0 three sensors
on Apr 20, 2011 at 4:17:47 pm

Hello All;
I am looking for a video camera that takes the best quality video for under $3,000.

I don't really understand the technical aspects of the video standards so in doing my research, I'd like to ask this forum a few questions.

I noticed that the Canon XF100 and XF105 cameras use Compact Flash to store video files and utilize a 4:2:2 50 MB Codec though it appears that they only have a single chip and not three chips.

However, Sony and other manufacturers advertise 3 chips and AVCHD capture at something like 24 MB.

Could someone explain which is actually better in providing the best picture/image quality - 4:4:2/50MBPS/1 chip or 4:2:0/24MBPS/3 chips ?

Does Compact Flash Capture video faster than SDHC ?

Tim

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: 4:2:2 - One Sensor vs. 4:2:0 three sensors
on Apr 28, 2011 at 4:48:28 am

I've looked at a lot of footage on different cameras trying to determine the answer to this question over the last few years. The reality is that there is no right answer. There are trade offs. You need to go out and find the look you like and not worry about whether it's 4:2:2 with 1 sensor or whatever. All these manufacturers make great looking camera images. You need to refine your questions. Are you shooting for TV? Web? Yourself? What is important to you? Do you work in teams? Or alone? interchangeable lens? Tele length? Depth of field? All in one camera for run and gun? What is your NLE?

All these questions will help determine the camera choice, and then you really really have to learn to use the camera. The choice of gamma, knee, on and on will mean way more than whether you are shooting on a CF card or SD card. I use both and it's really irrelevant. All these technologies are very very good. Better than our fathers ever imagined when they worked in the 50s with technology.

Go worry about your story, and the technology will reveal itself to you.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]