FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ways to capture (other than firewire)- Canon XL H1

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Austin Myers
Ways to capture (other than firewire)- Canon XL H1
on Mar 24, 2011 at 2:34:22 am

I just received my Canon XL H1 video camera the other day and had some time to get used to it during some live production events (No recording required, just transmitted through BNC cables to a mixer, then onto a projector.)I know how to use the camera pretty well, but I want to make some movies with it obviously. Well I bought a nice PC Laptop and upgraded the specs quite a bit. It turns out it does not have a fire wire port. So now I am contemplating ways I can capture footage from an HDV tape.

My idea is that I will buy an Edirol F1 field recorder in the future and just use that (because it connects with USB.) However I do not know if it records the front microphone attached to the camera.

Some other options I have been considering was buying and external PCI card slot and having a firewire port there, but I do not know if the quality would be reduced, or there would be any loss of data.

Another option is to buy some sort of black magic capture box like this one: http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/miniconverters/techspecs/

However I don't know if the XL H1 outputs HD SDI from an HDV tape... I don't really know how to put it, but can I use the HD SDI as the equivalent instead of firewire, when importing from tape. Or does it not make a difference, like will the video quality be the same as firewire because it has already been burned to a tape. And the black magic box converts it to H.264, when the footage coming off of the tape is already compressed to Mpeg2 (or does that happen through the firewire)

This is my first time with a nice camera (at least one that has a lot of functionality)

Like I said I am no expert but am hoping to learn.

So aside from getting a Mac, or any of the options I stated above, what else can I do to capture the best possible footage from my camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]