FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XL2/Macbook Pro firewire problem.

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Turner
Canon XL2/Macbook Pro firewire problem.
on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:34:11 pm

Hi there,

A week ago, I plugged in my firewire 800 cable from my Canon XL2 into my Macbook Pro, but it didn't register in FCP. I use it a lot and this is the first time it had happened. I did all the usual checks (camera in VCR mode, both ends attached, restart etc) then I removed the cable and tried to put it in again but couldn't as a little bit of plastic had come off the end of the cable into the firewire port of my macbook. I managed to remove it, but saw a little spark in the port. I put the cable in again (perhaps stupidly!) but my camera is still not recognised in FCP.

I tried looking in Premiere Pro, but it's not recognised in there either. I thought that my firewire port must now be broken, so I then tried it connecting my camera to a PC with a firewire 400 cable, and it still isn't recognised. This now makes me think the camera is broken too. Is it possible the broken port broke the firewire on the camera? The camera is working fine for filming, but I have no way of getting the footage off, which as I'm sure you can appreciate is a bit of a problem due to deadlines etc!

Please does anyone have any suggestions on fixes or how I can work out where the problem is so I know whether to get in touch with Apple or Canon?

This is what I am using:
Canon XL2
Macbook Pro: MacBookPro5,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz
FCP 7
Premiere Pro CS5
Tried with firewire 800 on mac and firewire 400 on PC.

Many thanks in advance,
Laura

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Canon XL2/Macbook Pro firewire problem.
on Mar 22, 2011 at 3:50:46 am

Yes its possible that a "spark" could damage either or both ports. But first try to isolate the problem with process of elimination. If the firewire port on either computer is damaged then it shouldn't work with any device. Plug in any firewire device you have handy and see if it works. If the Mac's port does not work try to reset the pram. That sometimes does the trick. Also try the reset button on the canon. If the computer's firewire is working but not the canon's, and it is out of warranty, then the best thing to do is buy a small canon that plays the same format, in this case standard def wide screen. I'd stay with canon since they can sometimes not play nice with other brands.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Laura Turner
Re: Canon XL2/Macbook Pro firewire problem.
on Mar 22, 2011 at 7:36:14 pm

Hi Craig,
Thanks for you reply. Since my post, I had a go with an old JVC consumer cam I had, I've managed to capture some footage, but it was 4:3, but I'm yet to try with any 16:9 footage. I suspect it won't work and will probably follow your advice and invest in a cheap widescreen Canon for capturing. The good news is it's not my Macbook!

I'll also give the reset button a go first, hadn't thought of that! Thanks again, it's much appreciated,
Laura

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]