FORUMS: list search recent posts

thinking about buying Canon XL2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david rodriguez
thinking about buying Canon XL2
on Feb 15, 2011 at 8:35:42 pm

Hello,

I was about to buy a sony hvr-v1 and then i came across this camera. I really do not know what to buy. I am looking into trying to get a film look and I was almost decide for the Sony but the Canon has the option to changes lenses and i guess that would give me more possibilities.
Does somebody hahev experience with both cameras to advice the best option to buy ?

Kind Regards and thanks in advanced

David Rodriguez

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: thinking about buying Canon XL2
on Feb 16, 2011 at 10:10:11 pm

Well David,

The XL2 is great, but, heavy. The out put of the little Canon HV40 (tape) and is similar ( 1440 x 1080 Anamorphic)matches the Sony's. Ever thought of the Canon 5D mark II, a hugh range of interchangeable lens, Image Stablized out put is 1920 x 1080P @38mbps not 25 mbps as per others which is professional still. But, you may have editing issues with the H.264mov out-put , if you do not have Premiere Pro CS5

As far as i know the XL-2 is not an HD Video camcorder ,but, SD 720x576 PAL Widescreen 16:9 capabilities, the difference between the two is big.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/camcorders/professional_camc...

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Peter Burger
Re: thinking about buying Canon XL2
on Mar 1, 2011 at 9:42:50 pm

Used to work a lot with the XL2 a couple of years ago and it indeed is a great camera.

But I don't think you'll get happy with it, since it's only SD. I made the step to HD about one year ago and definitly don't want to go back!

I still work on a lot of SD projects, but I always record in HD - you got so many more possibilities when you have HD (or HDV) source material (reframing just to mention one).

If you are that much into "film-look", you might want to take a closer look at one of the numerous VDSLRs, like the Canon 5DMkII that Bob suggested.

I have a 550D myself and use it alongside with my Sony V1 - it's the perfect couple. The V1 - a easy to use, very good HDV camcorder and the 550D (T2i) with it's interchangeable leneses for the more "filmic" stuff.

DSLRs are not to easy to handle in video mode, but the results are stunning!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]