FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt .MOV files?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Braedan Herrera
Corrupt .MOV files?
on Feb 2, 2011 at 5:07:06 pm

I am about to edit a music video for a client and I just retrieved all the footage from their hard drive. They shot on the Canon 5D and 7D. All the footage looks fine except in one folder there is the .MOV files and the .THM files. The .MOV files in this folder are only about 4.2MB and when you click on them they say that the file is not a movie file. Do you think there was a problem with the transfer or do you think that I can retrieve these files? ... In this folder the .MOV files are just QT files and in other folders the .MOV files you can see a still from the beginning of the shot. Any answers?

Return to posts index

Arielle Amsalem
Re: Corrupt .MOV files?
on Jul 22, 2011 at 8:52:02 pm

Hi Braedan,

I'm having the same problem with some of the QT files supplied to me by a client, although they are as large as 3GB, so I know there's a lot of footage on these files. Did you ever find a way to salvage them?

Thanks!

Arielle

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:28:12 pm

Sounds like your client might've done something really brilliant like dismount the drive before the files finished copying over, which would undoubtedly result in corrupt files that may be recoverable but that would take far more time/effort than just getting them to re-send in-tact files ... and may not work at all anyway. In other words, to a large degree, it doesn't matter if 75% of the file's content is there (thus, the large files) ... a corrupt/unuseable file is a corrupt/unuseable file.

Return to posts index

David Johnson
on Jul 22, 2011 at 11:45:31 pm

I forgot to mention ... if you don't want to go the route of just asking the client for good files, you could try importing the files into any software that uses the QuickTime engine and re-encoding (i.e. compression/conversion software like Episode, Squeeze, etc.) ... unlikely to work with files that won't open straight away in QT7, but may be worth a shot.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]