FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon Vixia as second camera for weddings

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Dedoes
Canon Vixia as second camera for weddings
on Jan 27, 2011 at 9:20:18 am

I currently own a Canon XHA1 and am looking to buy a second camera. I love my current Canon, but would like my second camera to be more portable for travel. I am looking at one of the Vixia models, but was wondering if the video would match well with video from my XHA1. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
Re: Canon Vixia as second camera for weddings
on Jan 27, 2011 at 9:37:16 pm

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/canon_vixia_camcorders/

Depends which one it is,all are AVCHD which may cause compatibility issues with the Professional tape based XHA -1 re: editing . If it is the Canon Vixia HV40 tape unit it will have no issues as it will be using same codec as the Professional XHA-1. personally the Vixia will not look as professional as the XHA-1 at a wedding and the audio will not be as good , nor maybe the low level light performance.
Not worth the risk ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Scott Dedoes
on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:40:33 pm

First of all, thank you for your response. I am not concerned about audio, because I use a sennheiser wireless mic along with a Rode shotgun mic on my XHA1 to pick up audio and don't really need to use the audio from the second camera. I also have a audio recorder that I can use as a backup. I am mainly concerned with matching the video.

I was looking at the Vixia models that record to memory card, specifically the HF s30, because that would be much easier to travel with than bringing a bunch of tapes. I currently rent a second XHA1 for weddings, but want to get into travel documentaries and snowboarding videos, etc., and was hoping that the Vixia would be able to double as a camera for that and as second camera for weddings, but low light performance might be a big issue.

I apologize for my ignorance as I am still very new at this, but I gather from your response that I shouldn't try to mix video shot on tape with video shot on memory card? When I'm looking at a camera to match up, what specific specifications should I look for?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:00:38 pm

It may be a good idea to phone Canon Technical Services. However, we also have used a Rode Stereo mike on a Canon 5D mark II for over 18 months which uses CF memory cards to record H.264mov files/clips at 1920 x 1080p @38.5 mbps with a Microsoft limitation of 12 minutes for continuous recording which you may need at a wedding, it is very good indeed.
The XHA-1 records to tape at 1440 x 1080p with a HDV/mpeg-2 codec @ 25 mbps professional. using the latest CS5 Premiere Pro this can be mixed on the timeline, but, you will need a powerfull computer to Adobe Minimum Specifications to run this editing, say a i7 64 bit, Quad Core with a Nvidia Quadro FX3800 Video card.
As far as i know the new Vixias are 1920 x 1080p High Definition @ 25 mbps to Hard Drive or SD with an AVCHD codec which can be handled by CS5.
I pesonally cannot see much difference between the High definition formats in quality.But, you may have to downgrade to SD as many clients may not have Blu-ray. ? So the difference in the cameras may not matter that much.

Ps. Using a small camcorder regardless of quality may not impress wedding clients too much ?
Editing HDV or standard Definition digital from tape based camcorders has been relatively straight forward. Not so 1920 1080p AVCHD or H.264 mov clips or similar untill now with CS5 or similar editing software,but, you will need a i7 64 bit computer ?

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Jan 29, 2011 at 5:10:37 pm

If you look at Canon's pro page you will see they include three Vixia models as compact HD camcorders, the HF-Sxxx series, yes they are not as good lowlight as a 3chip camcorder, but I never had problems with older vixia tape models using them as B-roll footage in most situations, as far as different formats, I usually converted to a intermediate codec like cineform or Grass Valley HQ which made mixing formats a snap, minor touchup with global color correction usually took care of minor differences in the converted footage, most of the time I was using the smaller cam for wider shots on a tall tripod like monitoring the center aisle to get an overall view of the ceremony, which didn't require much attention
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/camcorders

DSLRs can be problematic as event recording devices due to time limitations and lend themselves to more controlled shoots where continous footage is not required, they do work good for things like cameo footage at the receptions.

Return to posts index

Scott Dedoes
on Jan 29, 2011 at 5:33:09 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I was planning on using it for my tripod wide shot and mostly at the ceremony, so hopefully wouldn't have to deal with low light situations too often. The point about the clients not being impressed with a small camera is a good one though. Also, since I currently do not have a way to burn Blu-Ray, and have not had a client want one yet, nothing is true HD anyway. I will continue to do research and am leaning towards buying a small camera for my travel projects and continuing to rent a second camera for most weddings. I am going to contact Canon and will post what I find out from them and once I decide on a small camera, I will report on my experience. Thanks again for all your help.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Jan 29, 2011 at 9:12:32 pm

Hi Scott,
Have a look at this review http://www.donferrario.com/ruether/Canon_HV20-HV30.htm
I have used this camcorder in High Definition 1920 x 1080p Cinema Mode for over 3 years and as a VTR to Export to Tape from Morrocco, France, Belgium, Tibet, China and New Zealand,the tape quality is equal to the XHA-1 the Canon XA 10 may be the way to go ?
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/professional_cam...

Good luck, over and out from Australia

AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:48:22 pm

I wouldn't worry about impressing clients with a b-roll cam, I've tricked them out with sunshades, aux lenses and small shotgun mics whether or not I use the mic and they can look impressive, I don't use tape any more, I use compact flash recorders for the older tape cams and SDHC in the b-roll cams, another advantage is I'm no longer tied to changing tapes every hour, a 32gig compact flash will hold about 150min and will download for editing in 30min.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]