FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon XF300 File Structure

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Newman
Canon XF300 File Structure
on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:14:47 pm

Hello All,

I searched the cow all ready but couldn't find what I was looking for. I've been given some footage shot on the Canon XF300 and need to transcode to PR. I downloaded the FCP plugin form the Canon website but keep getting the "unsupported media and/or file structure" error message.

I was not on set, so I'm not sure if the structure was changed. Here's the current:

Contents> Clips001> AA0009> .cif
.xml
.mxf
.sif

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

David Bartz
Re: Canon XF300 File Structure
on Jan 27, 2011 at 7:34:05 pm

Jim -

I'm considering purchasing this camera to use with FCP, so I'd be very interested in how you got this to work.

Thanks!

-db-

Return to posts index

Robert John
on Jan 30, 2011 at 5:54:40 pm

If I'm understanding this correctly, you have a folder called contents with files in it. In FCP use log and transfer to import the contents folder. Or am I not understanding your question.

Return to posts index

Sergio Oliveira
on Feb 15, 2011 at 11:12:36 pm

having the same issue did you figure this out??? HELP lol

Return to posts index

Kamaldip Singh
on Feb 18, 2011 at 6:55:07 am

i just used Sony XDCAM transfer to convert my Canon xf300 mxf files to MOV
just do File > Add Source select your folder that has CLIPS001 folder and thats it you'll see all the clips in that folder and just click import and all the file are converted to MOV to edit in FCP also u can select the mxf by it self.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 6, 2011 at 12:28:24 am

From another forum:
Ingesting as a transcode to ProRes will yield no image quality benefits; it will just take up more storage space. Further, it is an unnecessary transcode step. It is a legacy feature from before FCP was able to handle a re-wrap ('native' ingest). The only real use for this would be if you needed to ingest XF footage to .mov for another app/workflow/system which cannot cope with MP2/longGop but can handle ProRes. Since all modern Mac workstations can easily handle MP2 editing overhead, there is no need to ingest to ProRes for an edit directly inside FCP, which will stay inside FCP.

However, for best quality, you should most certainly set your sequence render settings to ProRes or uncompressed. This is where you will see the benefit of ProRes over native MP2. All image manipulation you make should definitely NOT be rendered back to MP2 because then you are re-compressing the images back to a highly compressed acquistion codec. With a few layers/levels of manipulation you will be able to see the difference. We always render to uncompressed where drive space and system speed allows but ProRes on FCP or DNx on Avid are a good second choice.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]