FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best price from reputable dealer?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Pelley
Best price from reputable dealer?
on Jan 13, 2011 at 2:30:08 am

All I can find online is about $2,995 from B&H and JR Music World.

They are not willing to go down even 1 cent.

Any other viable options?

At least B&H offered free shipping.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Best price from reputable dealer?
on Jan 13, 2011 at 4:59:02 am

Well, you didn't say what particular camera you were looking for, but it doesn't really matter...

You can almost always consider B&H to give you a reasonable price, we buy almost all our gear from them. Not always the very very best price, but always at least close... and we're used to dealing with them and have long-standing accounts there so they are who we usually go with.

You might find something a little little bit cheaper elsewhere... but not much. If you find something as major as a camera from another seller (especially an on-line seller) that is significantly cheaper... be very wary of that deal. Most likely you would be getting a "grey market" camera (an unauthorized foreign import that, while legal, does not have any kind of warranty or support), or else they will be one of those sleazy online sellers that advertises a terrific price... and then once they get you on the hook you learn that's a "body only" price and then they try to upsell you on "accessories" such as a lens, batteries, case, lens cap... etc. etc. etc. And with most of those guys, if you catch on and say you DO want to buy it for the cheaper price it will suddenly become "temporarily unavailable," or "on backorder for six to eight weeks, we'll get back with you," etc.

The bottom line, with everyone knowing everyone else's pricing these days via the internet... almost all legitimate sellers have almost exactly the same prices... or within literally a few bucks of each other. Any deal that seems too good to be true almost always is.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:18:20 pm

The key phrase here is "reputable dealer." I've dealt for many years with B&H and for my money they're the best in the business.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Pelley
on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:39:29 pm

Earlier today I bought the Canon A1s "starter" kit, Libec tripod and upgraded the kit bag.

And yes, it was from B&H which keeps my wife happy too.

I really can't wait until Monday when this will probably arrive!

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:51:36 pm

Congrats... enjoy your new toys.

There are a few B&H haters out there (there's one particular host in another COW forum that will gladly tell you all the reasons he can't stand them)... but they've always been great for us. Their prices are always in line, shipping is fast, tracking is good, returns (when needed) work easy, and they always seem to have most everything in stock. You'll occasionally get someone on the phone who is just a slight bit on the gruff side, but I pass that off as New York "character."

The only challenge with them is I always suddenly seem to need something during the High Holidays or such, where you'll find them closed for extended periods.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Pelley
on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:58:44 pm

My experience with them today was nothing but positive and upbeat. I talked to a "Peter" in their pro video dept and pointed out that the bag they were offering in their starter kit was a half an inch short to comfortably accomodate an A1s because according to the specs the interior length of the Pearstone bag was sproported to be 15" and the official length of the A1s was 15"!

So, after pointing that issue out and waiting, he upgraded the bag to a much nicer one in the $200 range for only another 50 bucks.

Shipping was free. I have found over the years that B&H is courteous, knowledgable, reponsive and has solid customer service.

Return to posts index

Bruce Pelley
on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:01:34 pm

Actually, what I should have stated is that the A1s is 15.5 inches long not 15 according to Canon's website.

So, to get it in there one would have to cram it in which would put pressure on the eyepiece/viewfinder.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]