FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which camera or lens

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno silva
Which camera or lens
on Dec 22, 2010 at 6:21:53 pm

I was just hired to shoot a series of indoor soccer games and create player highlight reels. Problem number one is I have no camera but was thinking of buying the Canon 7D. Im not familiar with the camera but as an editor, i have cut many commercials shot on it.

My second question is which lens to buy? I will eventually be shooting outdoors as well once warmer weather comes around. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: Which camera or lens
on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:04:55 pm

[bruno silva] "was thinking of buying the Canon 7D."

Sounds like since you say you are thinking of the 7D you're not set-in-stone one it yet.

I'd suggest for a variety of reasons you might want to consider a more conventional video camera instead of a DSLR. For one thing, considering that you'll be shooting soccer games I'd anticipate you'll be shooting with a lot of fast pans, and footage that is heavy on the action. The CMOS sensor in that camera is not ideal for that kind of shooting, and is much more suited for more "painterly" frames with less action.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on Dec 22, 2010 at 8:40:48 pm

Thanks for the advice, I plan on learning about all this stuff once I have the camera in my hands. I like the 7D because of the price, the beautiful shots it captures and I also plan on shooting music videos and mini docs in the future. So I need to think long term as well, it wont be strictly sports.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Dec 23, 2010 at 5:30:20 am

I agree with Todd as we use a Canon 5D mark II, a great 35mm camera,stills & video but you have no motorised zoom control which is handy with sport. We use both, the 7D has only an APS size sensor.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

bruno silva
on Dec 26, 2010 at 9:59:53 pm

thanks for responding. After doing some research, I understand the limitations of the 7D. The 12min shooting time, the shaky footage, poor mic. But its the only thing I can afford right now so I kind of need to make it work. I would love to get a Sony or Panasonic but its just not in my budget yet.

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Dec 28, 2010 at 6:37:25 am

The footage should not be shakey, you can fix the sound by external stereo mike Rode recommended, the stills and video should still be sensational. Good luck! Not a bad first camera.

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:04:00 pm

Buy the 7D body only, and get 24-70mm 2.8 (great lens) or even the 16-35mm 2.8 cost the same as the camera. Great investments. you will enjoy them more than the kit lens. Also, consider buying used lens or even nikon lens, but you will need an adapter.

You can always start with the 50mm 1.8 for $99
then Rent the great lenses for cheap!
enjoy.

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]