FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hard to get in-focus shot of lunar eclipse last night

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laurie Doering
Hard to get in-focus shot of lunar eclipse last night
on Dec 21, 2010 at 2:20:37 pm

Up at 3:00 am to take the picture. And it was cold. All my shots are slightly blurry. Needed long exposures up to 10 seconds.
I have shot the moon several times before with no trouble. Canon 7D, 400mm, tripod, self-timer etc.
I can only conclude the moon was moving too much for the exposure time. As I decreased the time, they were sharper.
After an hour trying everything possible, I jumped back into bed like a frozen block of ice. Just a touch disappointing!

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
Re: Hard to get in-focus shot of lunar eclipse last night
on Dec 21, 2010 at 6:34:10 pm

Also due to atmospheric conditions, too long of exposure can lead to bluring, sometimes it pays to do a bunch of shorter exposures and stack them, also trying to use a long lens to fill the frame can have problems due to the minimum f-stop of the lens and the lens's ability to magnify atmosperics, sometimes using a shorter faster lens, even though you don't fill the frame can result it better images, you have alot of megapixels to play with even on a quarter screen.

Return to posts index

Laurie Doering
Re: Hard to get in-focus shot of lunar eclipse last night
on Dec 22, 2010 at 3:41:57 pm

Thanks. Yes, I think I was dealing with a touch of atmospheric haze as well. Managed to salvage a couple of shots.
Here is one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcdoering/5282147938/in/photostream/

Next lunar eclipse is June 15, 2011. I'll be ready if the sky is clear!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]