FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems using Print to Video FCP to Canon Xl2

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Turner
Problems using Print to Video FCP to Canon Xl2
on Dec 18, 2010 at 6:35:10 pm

Hi there,
I have a 1280 × 720 quicktime file which I need to get onto mini DV tape. I have put the file in the FCP timeline, gone to File > Print to tape and selected my options, but whilst it plays on my Macbook Pro the screen on my Canon XL2 is blue. The timecode counts up, but nothing is recorded.

I have searched the forums and seen that I have to Refresh AV Devices and External Video> All Frames, but this didn't make any difference for me.

I am using FCP 7 on a Macbook Pro with a Canon XL2 attached through firewire. It is registering in log and capture. My camera is in VCR mode. I see there's an option to turn AV>DV on, but this also makes no difference.

I'm supposed to be getting this done tonight so any help greatly received!

Many thanks,
Laura

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
Re: Problems using Print to Video FCP to Canon Xl2
on Dec 19, 2010 at 5:47:53 pm

[Laura Turner] "I have a 1280 × 720 quicktime file which I need to get onto mini DV tape"

You are trying to shove a HD format mov into a SD DV camcorder, it will accept a 720x480 NTSC color signal if a US camcorder, in either a wide screen par of 1.2 or standard screen par of .89, you need to downconvert the HD format to a SD format in something like compressor before trying to load it onto tape.

Return to posts index

Laura Turner
on Dec 19, 2010 at 6:02:02 pm

Hi there,
Thanks for getting back to me. I did actually try that in the end and it still didn't work when I'd converted it to SD. I think I tried every setting in FCP before giving up. I had to finish this last night so ended up using a friend's computer with Premiere Pro - where it worked straight away with absolutely no issues.

If anyone can shed any light on what the problem could have been it still would be good for future reference. Because it worked in Premiere it seems it's a setting in FCP not the camera.

Many thanks again,

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Dec 21, 2010 at 10:56:28 pm

I don't use FCP but it could be that you were still in a HD project/timeline even though you were using the SD converted file you imported and it may be basically upconverting the downconversion :) Just a thought.

Return to posts index

Laura Turner
on Dec 23, 2010 at 1:39:59 am

Hi,

It could have been that. I'll import it into a new SD sequence and see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help! :-)

Laura

Return to posts index

Anthony Bari Jr.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 3:10:36 pm

Just copy and paste the timeline into a SD timeline, then try again.
this should work.
worst case export the timeline bring it backinto FCP and then use it as a whole clip>print to video

*Production*Post-Production*
Apple Certified Instructor (Final Cut Pro 7)
"Semper Fi USMC"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]