FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon d7 filming time

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bridgid Dineen
Canon d7 filming time
on Dec 12, 2010 at 12:40:45 pm

Hope this isn't the most stupid question asked.

Please answer in the most basic language as I have extremely limited technical knowledge.

I have recently bought a Canon d7, as I am a photographer, but I am starting to make films. The style of films I'm looking at is real-life, documentary,with some fancy bis added in when I learn how! I like shooting continuously- to capture conversations or activities as they happen.

My question is... can the continuous filming be extended as it seems the camera switches off after 12-19minutes and ideally I'd like up to an hour.

Thankyou to anyone who can help.

Bridgid Dineen

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
Re: Canon d7 filming time
on Dec 14, 2010 at 5:54:48 am

Hi Bridgid, any Canon DSLR can only record 12minutes (+ if you're lucky) per file. You can immediately press record again, but there will be that slight break. If you're in a warm locale, continuous shooting may overheat the camera (have more than one if it's critical- rent even). This is in HD of course, 480p or "movie crop" will give you about 20minutes per file, but quality suffers proportionally (depending on your target medium), and overheating works the same. In live events, I have two cameras available for wide/continuous, plus "b" camera options (7D,60D,T2i matched settings, similar lens/locked aperture). With a sound person and a tripod, you are your own camera assistant. So you film close to the 12min deadline, cut on any pause, and start the fresh camera; lock it down, and move to rest/b-roll mode with the first. Repeat when necessary. It's a dance for sure, but the only way I count on running Canon DSLRs nonstop, is with more than one. Good luck...ML

Return to posts index

Alf Hanna
on Dec 15, 2010 at 7:24:41 am

Yep, Michael's got it right. I use a Panasonic HMC150 for those long continuous shots, like concerts, lectures, etc. The 7D is for close up's wide angle establishing shots, etc. to add to my A camera. I've had the camera overheat on a long concert, so it's a real problem that can happen when you shoot for two hours almost contiuously. But it's a great camera, just not a great all around video camera. Having said that, there are tons of things that don't require continous shooting over 12 minutes. See what it is you are shooting. Also, there are lots of cheap HD cameras that might be able to act as that long range long running camera. Get the right tool for the right job...

Alf

Return to posts index

Bridgid Dineen
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:05:38 pm

Hello Alf,

Thankyou for replying. I have very little knowledge but have learnt a lot already. Yes I will invest in a cheaper HD for general footage, although I struggle then with matching up lighting etc...anyway, thankyou again

Return to posts index

Bridgid Dineen
on Dec 16, 2010 at 6:03:39 pm

Thankyou Michael for your response, it's very helpful.
Don't suppose you know anywhere online that offers very simple and easy tutorials for using the canon 7d for people new to filming??

Anyway cheers!

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Dec 16, 2010 at 8:00:13 pm

Really, there's so much out there on You Tube and Vimeo it's mostly a matter of sifting thru it. For other forums here, DSLR Video, Cinematography, Lighting Design Pro's, all help me out. Other sites I like are http://philipbloom.net/ http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/ That's a start, and of course, live with that manual for a while. Then just shoot; there's a sunrise and sunset everyday with magic lighting for free. Welcome, and good luck...ML

Return to posts index

Bridgid Dineen
on Dec 16, 2010 at 9:00:04 pm

Thanks again Michael, that was quick!

I've had a little browse round your suggestions and yes there's tons of info. I think I'll have to learn the lingo a bit better but it's all great.

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]