FORUMS: list search recent posts

Accessing Canon Vixia HG20 camera files?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Weber
Accessing Canon Vixia HG20 camera files?
on Dec 6, 2010 at 10:34:07 pm

I am trying to sort out a workflow involving a Canon Vixia HG20 camera, which records to a 60G hard drive. My colleague is up in San Francisco recording events, and I'm down in San Diego editing the them. Right now she's using Final Cut Pro's Log and Transfer to convert the AVDHD files to Apple ProRes 422, which she then sends to me via FTP. That works OK, except of course the files are enormous, like around 1 Gig per minute. I'd much rather get her (considerably smaller) raw camera files and do the Log and Transfer step myself.

When my colleague hooks her camera up to her Mac, it doesn't mount on her desktop or anything, and so she doesn't know how to access the raw camera files themselves. She called Canon tech support, and was told: "They say there is no way that the computer links directly with the camcorder's HD, but that we would have to use a software program like Final Cut Pro or Express, or the one that came with the camera."

Is this true, or does anyone know a workaround? My colleague is a bit new to the video world, and so helping her troubleshoot her problem without physical access to her camera is difficult. I've scanned the manual, but haven't found the answer. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]