FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingesting Footage 5d without card reader

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Ingesting Footage 5d without card reader
on Nov 6, 2010 at 10:31:48 pm

Hi,

I am doing a first time thing on the Canon 5d. Now I do not have a card reader in the location here.
When I transfer the footage over the USB cable onto my MAcBooPro, with the EOS Transfer tool (directly from the camera). The Log&Transfer in FCP does not recognize the file later on.
Does the Log&Transfer really just work, when the content of the card is transfered with a CF Card Reader?
Thanx for quick answer, I need to finish this tonight!!!!! :-)

Sascha

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
Re: Ingesting Footage 5d without card reader
on Nov 7, 2010 at 4:05:51 am

Hi Sascha, if your using the Canon EOS Utility software to download, this may be the problem. I have the software on my laptop too, but close it when it tries to launch and capture the contents. I go to finder and drag it from the camera to my external hard drive. Even with the plug-in for log-n-transfer, it's delicate. Hope this helps...ML

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Nov 7, 2010 at 4:45:10 am

Sascha, I'm an idiot. I drag from my SDHC card (which fits the 13" Macbook Pro) and says Canon. Your right, FCP and EOS Utility don't behave well together, which you can tell by how your Mac doesn't recognize the camera without the software. Even with the plug-in for log-n-transfer, it's delicate. I guess always have a CF card reader, until Canon and Apple play better...ML

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 7, 2010 at 8:22:21 am

Thanx. Good to know, so I am not wasting time, trying to solve this - just going to transfer with Compressor. But it takes ages - transfering with EX1 material and Sony P2 Footage seemed faster.
Does the EOS stuff take always so long - or it's because I don't do it with the Log & Transfer?

Thanx.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Michael Locke
on Nov 7, 2010 at 3:57:12 pm

Haven't worked with any XDCam or P2 footage yet, but yes if your changing H.264 to a Prores it can be slow. I haven't mastered Compressor; custom settings in frame controls can help, but it's slower than MpegStreamclip (which sometimes noticeably darkens footage). Rare Vision is my favorite encoding quality, but it's a lot slower. http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/ Wish I had more solutions for you; there's some hardware you can buy of course (Elgato,Matrox), but that's another issue. CS5 gets more and more popular this way...ML

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 7, 2010 at 10:45:22 pm

Thanx for all the insights! Definately helpful for the future. :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]