FORUMS: list search recent posts

XLH1 starts and stops during tape playback

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Hertz
XLH1 starts and stops during tape playback
on Nov 5, 2010 at 6:28:30 pm

I had a client bring in a Canon XL1H camera along with 4 tapes for me to digitize. I tried bringing it into Final Cut Pro using Log and Capture and noticed that the playback kept pausing then restarting - I could even see the timecode pause and then start going again. I thought it was a FCP setting - but then I noticed when I play the tapes back in the camera (disconnected entirely from computer) and watch them on the cameras LCD that they also start and stop in a similar fashion. Is there a setting in the camera I am missing? Are the camera heads bad or need to be cleaned? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don Hertz
AC Media

Return to posts index

Matthew Riccaboni
Re: XLH1 starts and stops during tape playback
on Apr 1, 2013 at 5:17:12 pm

Hey Don,

Did you ever figure out what was causing this. My Canon XLH1 just started doing this to my tapes.
It also says there is only like 40 minutes left on the tape when my other cameras show the normal 62 minutes left.

Thanks

- Matt

Return to posts index

Markus Kosonen
on Oct 29, 2014 at 6:07:50 pm

I have the same problem after todays shoots. The playback is all jumpy and the time code doesn't flow. I shot some material afterwards on a different miniDV cassette, at that wasn't all that bad. Should I be honest to myself and say this jumpy material is beyond repair and I should just shoot it all over again. I´m not sure if this is just a bad cassette problems. I used cleaning cassette three times. Please tell what happened to you, or if you could help me out with a solution.

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
on Oct 29, 2014 at 8:27:30 pm

You might not get a response from one of the people above, as the original post is more than four years old...

Your problem though sounds very indicative of misaligned heads. If that's the case, the camera definitely needs servicing... either the heads realigned, or replaced.

It's impossible to say whether your footage is poor (actually recorded that way), or if the tape is actually fine but your camera is playing it back poorly. The way to test that is to play back the same tapes in a different camera or deck (and if you recorded in HDV 24f mode, it MUST be either another Canon 24f camcorder, or one of the few decks that can handle 24f footage).

At any rate, do NOT use the head cleaning cassette anymore. Those are very abrasive, and this definitely does not sound like a clogged-head problem. Using it more is doing more harm than good.

If you do not have someone in your area who can service it and need to ship your H1 off, Camcorder Repair Center in California does decent work at decent prices.... http://camcorderrepair.com/

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]