FORUMS: list search recent posts

xf 300/305

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Servetz
xf 300/305
on Oct 30, 2010 at 2:34:33 am

I've been considering purchasing either the XF300 or 305 but there seems to be little to no information available from users or reviewers. The BBC was quick to certify these cameras for full blown field production, so that's a pretty big deal, but still no comprehensive reviews. Is there anyone on this forum who has purchased one of these camcorders? Your thoughts, opinions, comments, crticisms, recommendations? I do primarily documentary and event work, editing on Sony Vegas Pro-9.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
Re: xf 300/305
on Oct 30, 2010 at 11:08:44 am

Also find it strange how little activity there is on this forum for the 300/305.
I've been using a 300 for 2 months now & despite a few gripes with the lens rings, I am very happy with it. I'm going to retire my EX3 in favour of the Canon. Suggest you hire one for a weekend & see what you think.

Cams: Z1, EX3, HDX900.
Post :FCS6, Media 100HD V12, AE7, 12TB Sata Raid & monitoring to die for!

Return to posts index

Richard van den Boogaard
on Nov 1, 2010 at 10:25:38 am

How old is your EX-3 and for how much are you willing to sell it?

Richard van den Boogaard
Freelance cameraman • Glidecam Operator • Editor • YouTube expert

Return to posts index

Chris Stevens
on Nov 1, 2010 at 11:14:20 am

Please contact me for details & price
chris@waterlinemedia.com

Cams: Z1, EX3, HDX900.
Post :FCS6, Media 100HD V12, AE7, 12TB Sata Raid & monitoring to die for!

Return to posts index

Chris Dickinson
on Nov 12, 2010 at 2:39:39 pm

I'm an XF300 owner and am very impressed with it in general. The picture quality is easily better than EX cameras, and I prefer its design. I bought it as a second camera to my Panasonic HPX2700 and it matches pretty well after a bit of grading.
Only negative comment is that I have had some problems with my CF cards - I was just about to back up data from one card when I momentarily lost connection between MacBook Pro and card reader, and ALL the data was lost! I was not writing to the card, but just reading and still suffered this major problem! I am trying to salvage the data now... I think the problem was partly the fault of a dodgy USB port on my laptop, but still - it worries me that the CF cards can seemingly get corrupted quite easily.
I will be looking into a more stable way to transfer data from now on as this was not the first time I have experience problems with the CF cards (but the first time that I have lost all data in one go!!)

Chris

Chris Dickinson
Lighting Cameraman and Editor
http://www.chrisd.tv

Return to posts index

Saeed Taji Farouky
on Nov 26, 2010 at 9:43:10 pm

Hi, you guys seem to know what you're doing with this camera, so maybe you could help. I've been using the 305 for a few days now, and very impressed with the image quality (although I do wish I could get a shallower dept of field, it seems like everything's always in focus...)
But I'm having trouble transferring the files to quicktimes. I used XDCAM transfer, but all the quicktimes have sound out of synch, and the sound cuts off about 3/4ths of the way through. When I just play the clip in XDCAM transfer, sound is fine, so it's definitely somewhere in the transfer to quicktime. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?
I'm on a macbook pro, 13inch, 2.26ghz dual core, OSX 10.6.5

Return to posts index

Saeed Taji Farouky
on Dec 3, 2010 at 11:45:48 pm

If I've backed up my CF cards to an external drive, rather than transcoding them directly through FCP, does anyone know how to recreate the original card structure so the log & transfer window will recognise it?

Return to posts index

Digital Antics
on Dec 13, 2010 at 1:45:34 am

Saeed, did you ever get your question answered regarding the out of sync issue with the MXF files? I am curious, cause I have experienced the same problem.

Return to posts index

Saeed Taji Farouky
on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:27:09 am

Hi Digital Antics: No responses yet unfortunately. There seems to be a general black hole in terms of knowledge about this camera on forums. A lot of guessing about how the card structure works. I couldn't find any way of re-building the structure, so it looks like the only other options is to go through Avid (which reads XF files natively) Easier said than done for someone who uses FCP.

I'm pretty disappointed with the camera in general. I'm not a huge fan of the image, don't like the electronic lens mechanism and it's inconceivable to me that someone would design a camera with footage that, once you remove it from the card you shot it on, is inaccessible. This is a total waste of time in terms of workflow, and for what? A new codec that seems almost exactly the same as Sony's XDCAM? I don't get it.

On closer inspection, the sound issue with transcoding through XDCAM is worse than out of synch, the sound file is completely corrupt, simply because it's not an XDCAM codec (although it looks like one, acts like one, sounds like one, etc.)

Return to posts index

Digital Antics
on Dec 28, 2010 at 2:28:42 pm

Saeed, I found a third party software, that was $40US, that allowed me to transfer Canon XF300 files successfully into quicktime .mov files. It worked great. Audio and visual were fine. The company is Pavtube Studio:

http://www.pavtube.com/hd-video-converter-mac/

I hope you find this helpful! Happy new year.

Return to posts index

Saeed Taji Farouky
on Dec 28, 2010 at 4:36:06 pm

Yeah, I friend of mine finally found a 3rd party software, too. Calibrated, for around $100, wrapped all the XF files in movs so I can now edit with them normally. Thank god, it was starting to drive me crazy. I still can't for the life of me understand why Canon would design a workflow so impractical...

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on May 1, 2011 at 11:23:12 pm

Just spent a day shooting with this camera. For anyone reading this thread in the future, the MXF files drop right into Vegas and edit with no problem. I've not yet tried it with FCP.

Alf

Return to posts index

Craig Banham
on Oct 22, 2011 at 10:45:18 am

I have just put in an order for an XF300, but haven't actually put through the payment yet. I just found this thread and I'm a bit concerned.

My normally workflow is to shoot a project abroad for several weeks and every couple of days on location I'll back up my rushes from the memory cards inside the camera onto two external hard drives (thus I have 2 copies of everything).

I'll then wipe the cards and continue shooting. When I finish the field shooting and return home I'll import the rushes into Final Cut Pro 7 via Log and Transfer ending up with ProRes/.mov files.

Up until now I have been shooting on a Sony HXR-NX5 in AVCHD.

From what I've read on this post I'm concerned that as I back up the rushes from the camera to the external hard drives the file structure is corrupted. Am I understanding this right?

If I continue to use my current workflow does this mean FCP 7 will not import the rushes stored on the two external hard drives?

If so this is a real deal breaker since I can't afford to use Compact Flash cards like film, I will need to overwrite them since I usually come home with up to 30 hours of rushes.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 22, 2011 at 2:00:20 pm

Craig, i do this all the time. Xf300 comes with a great utility for backing up cards, one of the best i've workedwith. You can back em up and later go back in to edit the metadata with no problem, then use the footage, in fcp without transcoding, if you wsnt. Have no worries.

Alf

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Oct 22, 2011 at 2:05:32 pm

Saeed, did u ever find an answer to your out of sync issue? I've never had a problem with my xf305. Also what did you do wrong to make fcp not read your files? I've not had a problem like you describe with fcp and my files.

Alf

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]