FORUMS: list search recent posts

XHA1 with Sony DVM63HDR tapes

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Kiersky
XHA1 with Sony DVM63HDR tapes
on Oct 27, 2010 at 12:56:02 pm

Had a shoot with our canon video camera using the sony DVM63HDR tapes, HD 30fps. everything seemed to work out, but when trying to capture it back to the computer, i don't get any video, just blue screen. We thought it was a dirty playback head problem, so i used the head cleaner. still no avail.

we borrowed the same camera from a client, thinking our camera was going bad, still no luck, same problem.

some other tapes, which i know has footage on them will seem to have the same problem, but after playing a while, the video shows up finally, then i can rewind and i get video where previously was just blue.

someone told me that sony tapes have a coating that gumms up non-sony cameras, but it sounds like just a rumor.

anyone have this problem? or a solution? or something to try? anything?

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
Re: XHA1 with Sony DVM63HDR tapes
on Oct 27, 2010 at 9:49:48 pm

An intermittent problem as you described, especially where video comes and goes depending on how far along the tape is suggests to me a transport issue. I would get that camera serviced asap. The transport may not be holding the tape at the correct tension against the heads, causing the problems you described. I wouldn't believe that story about some type of coating that only affects non-Sony cameras, that's ridiculous.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com

Return to posts index

Brian Louis
on Oct 28, 2010 at 11:25:04 am

[Aaron Kiersky] "told me that sony tapes have a coating that gumms up non-sony cameras"
Its been years since there has been incompatible lubricant on various manufactors tapes.

[Aaron Kiersky] "fter playing a while, the video shows up finally, then i can rewind and i get video where previously was just blue."
The camcorder probably needs a good pro cleaning, There might have been a head clog that got cleared by playing the tape, DV/HDV tapes can be self cleaning, you don't want to use a DV cleaning tape too much as it is abrasive, also if you use it for a long period(over 10sec) its possible to glaze deposites on the heads because of the heat from friction and the head speed, if using a cleaning tape its best to use 5 sec periods with a bit of cool down in between passes

Return to posts index

John Lofton IV
on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:51:32 pm

I, too, had the same problem recently.

Recorded to the DVM63HDR tapes in Canon's 1080 30f format.

I would turn the camera off and back on in between record sessions (for a live event) and the timecode would pick back up where I left off on the LCD screen.

I go to capture the footage the next day and, to my surprise, there is a BLUE SCREEN with NO TIMECODE!

I called Canon Tech Support and they suggested I try alternate Canon camcorders capable of playing back 30f, but still no luck.

I did a bunch of troubleshooting; recorded to a Sony Master , played back on XH A1, all works fine.

Go to put the DVM63HDR tape in and still get a blue screen.

This is very discouraging as I had recorded a live event and now have to tell the client there is NO FOOTAGE!

Any alternative suggestions? Perhaps a tape repair / workshop in the DC / MD area I could bring the tape to?

Thanks, everyone.

John

Return to posts index

John Lofton IV
on Nov 1, 2010 at 5:38:19 pm

Hey Everyone,

After speaking with Canon Customer / Technical Support as well as Sony Technical Support, the conclusion is that it is most likely bad tape stock (Sony's fault).

I am sending my tape to Sony Media Services ( http://www.SonyMediaServices.com ) for review. Hopefully they can salvage SOMETHING from the tape!

I have informed my client of the situation and they were,thankfully, understanding of the situation and agreed to having a free promotional video edited from the stills I took that night.

I'll let you know what Sony Media Services conclusion is once I receive my tape back.

John

Return to posts index

Erin Anguish
on Nov 5, 2010 at 12:54:00 am

I had the same issue with my XH A1 over the summer. After several calls to Canon, I sent it in to be serviced. It came back and recorded just great, but I never could get it to play the tapes I shot the day it went blue. I've been told it's a head tension issue and I've been told it's because I had used different types of tape stock.

Tip, though, try playing the tape back through a high-end deck. I had limited success with that, and actually rented one to digitize the footage I thought I'd lost.

Return to posts index

Paul Lovelace
on Nov 18, 2010 at 4:56:00 pm

Just going through this thread. I've had the same issue over the past month using the Sony DVM63HDR tape stock with the XHA1. Twice I haven't been able to play back the tape, even though recording appeared to go just fine.

It looks like Sony had a run of bad tape stock. I called them and they said they would be send replacements. But at this point I am deeply hesitant to move forward using Sony stock. Can anyone hear recommend another brand they have had success with? I was thinking of shifting towards Panasonic or Canon.

Thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

Bob Dix
on Nov 1, 2010 at 11:47:34 pm

No problems with these tapes in a Canon HV 20 used as vtr and definitely no drop outs.But, usually check playback on LCD after shooting is wise precaution, no problems. Other Sony and JVC tapes do show some drop outs usually fixed by using Sony Digital Master PHDVM-63DM worth a try ?

Freelance Imaging & Video
AUSTRALIA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]