FORUMS: list search recent posts

GL1 inner lens dust. How can I open it up just a little?

COW Forums : Canon Cameras

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Hatcher
GL1 inner lens dust. How can I open it up just a little?
on Oct 21, 2010 at 4:23:45 pm

I have one piece of dust on my inner lens that I cannot blow out with air from the outside. I've taken off the sticker from the outside lens and removed it. I then blew compressed air into it again and the dust spec remains. It must be in a lens farther back.

What screws can I take out to get a little more air up in there without dissasembling the whole thing. It's not worth it as you all know to send it off to Canon.

Thanks!
John

Return to posts index

Todd Terry
Re: GL1 inner lens dust. How can I open it up just a little?
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:23:51 pm

Taking apart a lens is not for the faint of heart. Unless one really knows what they are doing, they stand a much better chance of screwing it up than fixing it.

My first question would be, do you see the dust speck with your eyeball when looking at the lens? Or do you actually see the dust speck recorded onto your picture? If you do not see it recorded and it's not affecting your image... leave it alone. It's not hurting anybody and it's best just to leave it be. Many lenses have dust on the internal elements, and often times it never affects the picture one bit.

But if it is being recorded, it'd be best to have it cleaned professionally. You don't have to send it to Canon, but if not them I'd definitely give it to a professional camera repair person or lens tech. The good news is that if you can see it on your image, it is likely a speck on one of the more forward lens elements (ones on internal or rear elements likely wouldn't show up), so they may not have to dig too deeply into it.

T2

fantasticplastic.com

Return to posts index

John Hatcher
Re: GL1 inner lens dust. How can I open it up just a little?
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:30:33 pm

Hi Todd,

Yes you can see it clearly from in front of the camera and you have to zoom past it to get it out of view, otherwise it looks like a smudge as you can imagine. They way I figure, if I could just open things up enough to blow air down in there good, I can't really shoot with it anyhow the way it is. It's more or less just a deck at this point.

I've spoken to a camera tech and they advised not worth the money. I just figured since I found a site with photos of how to take the front element off, there might be someone out there who's gone farther up in there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]